• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark II Flying goggles

flyboy

Sorry if this has been asked before, but here goes:
For a long time I have been looking for a pair of the so called MKII Flying Goggles.
And I have also been warned that very often "ordinary" motorcyclist goggles - with almost same design - are sold as flying goggles.
How can one tell the difference?
Hope some of you collectors can enlighten me. Thank you.

Lebensgefahr

Hello Soren

In answer to your question, the goggles in your first picture are correct Mk11`s and the ones in the second and third pictures are not.
It would take too long to describe all the various types of goggles that are not correct Mk11`s (even if this were possible) so what you are looking for are exactly what is shown in the pictures below. There are two types of Mk11, the ones shown below which have the blackened brass frames and the others which have an aluminium frame. These are similar in appearance to the frames in your second photo. Original Mk11`s don`t have any marking`s on the strap and the spring covering`s are made of leather not material as per Mk111`s & 111a`s. If you are interested in British WW2 flying clothing/headgear then Mick Prodgers books would be a good investment.

Hope this helps ? :?
LG