• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN DO I WANT THESE BOOTS!!!!!!!!!

zoomer

MikeyB-17 said:
Shame there's no A-6A's.
Couldn't you make your own, say from a pair of pacboots and some black rubbers?

The RCAF also used an A-6 like flight boot (no straps) into the 1950s. They used to be fairly easy to find. Probably not anymore.

I think the RCAF boot was intended as an overshoe - yes, a sheeplined overshoe. Not sure about the A-6s.

MikeyB-17

zoomer said:
MikeyB-17 said:
Shame there's no A-6A's.
The RCAF also used an A-6 like flight boot (no straps) into the 1950s. They used to be fairly easy to find. Probably not anymore.

Yeah, in fact Tim P was offering a pair, doctored to look like A-6's, back before Xmas. I was tempted but decided against it. I'm not really sure what I'd do with a set if I had them, but AFAIK nobody makes replicas (doubtless somebody will now leap up and contradict me!) and I thought that was a shame.

CHECK6

The RCAF type A6 boots were used during WW2 (made in brown leather)the post WW2 ones were made in black leather(SOREL )you can find NOS post war us A6A us air force stenciled at WESTLAND MILITARY ANTIQUES ( westland.nl)

FAB

dmar836

I have several pairs of NOS shoepacks but they would look all wrong IMO if used as the bottom of A-6s.
Also have A-6, A-6As, and post-war A-6As and can't really tell the difference. They sure don't hold up well. Clark has a nice wearable pair.
Dave

zoomer

Let's make some A-6s

A-6 without straps

You'll need:
204029056.jpg

Itasca Ontario winter boot (about $35)
809829163_260.jpg

Totes Workboot Style Overshoes (about $10)
2zippers225.jpg

Flight style zippers
sheepskin-rug-ivory-one-size-25232461.jpeg

Your favorite sheepskin or wool pile
shoemaker.jpg

A skilled cobbler (this is the hard part)

Combine ingredients until boots look something like this:
nored401.jpg

This will involve:
Redoing the boot tops so they're cut flat, then reinstalling the strapping
Lining the insides (or just around the tops) with the sheep
Making a tongue with a leather outside, then securing it
Cutting a zipper slot, then shortening and installing the zips
Cutting down the overshoes slightly, then glueing (vulcanizing?) them to the boots
aaf_heat-1c.jpg

(option) applying all-white AAF roundel decal

RCSignals

zoomer said:
MikeyB-17 said:
Shame there's no A-6A's.
Couldn't you make your own, say from a pair of pacboots and some black rubbers?

I think the RCAF boot was intended as an overshoe - yes, a sheeplined overshoe. Not sure about the A-6s.

They continued to issue them as a cold weather boot to personnel posted to Northern Region well into the '80s.

Dimitry M

I found this a while back and I think I have found a holy grail! A lead on getting repro A-6A boots! I'm not talking about the ones from redtails. I'm talking about newly reproduced ones and there under $300. I will keep updated poasted.