• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MA-1 plastic name tag holder???

Phantomfixer

Anyone have stats on the plastic name tag holder used in the sixties on USAF flight jackets and suits???
When were they were used?
Did they have a snap closure?
was it a local manufacture thing or did it have a PN?

And mainly a good visual reference to reproduce one or if anyone has an original....they would part with...

looks like they were stitched on, name tag slid in and then the fourth open side folded in and under the name tag??? Some it looks like they had a snap closure?

Thanks Guys
John

oose

Hi John
Here is an original on one of my jackets

Mash in Japan make a repro, I have one that I never got around to using here the packaging. Hope this helps a little.

All the best
Stu

Phantomfixer

Hi Stu,

It does thanks !!! Good to see one up close and personal..So I am thinking 58-65ish time period maybe later?

Since I have you...I have seen flight jackets with a singular GI button around the same area..I was thinking this was for attaching the line badge/flightline security ID???

John

oose

Hi John,
I've seen those button to, not sure what there actual purpose was, I'll need to do a little research see if I come up with any thing in the photo archive.

All the best
Stu

a2jacketpatches

I was looking at the Flight line security badges thinking they were exactly like the ones I remember, and holy smokes, Loring. I don't remember there ever being snaps on the badges there, all had little clips like you see in the photos, but who knows maybe earlier.

Phantomfixer

Still have my line badge...my buddy was the security NCO..when I retired "it was burned in a fire...."

That is one crusty BUFF crew member. Looks like he could drink 3 day old coffee, chew some steel nails, spit em out and go home to his wife and kid after flying for 18 hours

ausreenactor

I have some good unused originals here. If you are chasing one me PM your address. Will send you one?

Couchy

a2jacketpatches

jzist said:
Still have my line badge...my buddy was the security NCO..when I retired "it was burned in a fire...."

That is one crusty BUFF crew member. Looks like he could drink 3 day old coffee, chew some steel nails, spit em out and go home to his wife and kid after flying for 18 hours

Brings back memories hearing a vet call it "BUFF"

Was that a SAC line badge? I know they kept a good eye on those and can just imaging the whole base at Loring going nuts if one went missing.

Phantomfixer

LOL old SAC guys would go crazy if a pen was missing...mine was from an AMC base...low priority...same badge...hey if you guys dont here from me in awhile, the base cops came looking for my old line badge....
Couchy Thanks much! will return the favor ...I'll find something to cross the pond in your direction...
John

Monsoon

jzist said:
LOL old SAC guys would go crazy if a pen was missing

FOD. MX will crap themselves if something goes missing.

We Red X'd a plane when a guy lost his wedding ring onboard. Another time for a small washer went missing from a piece of equipment. And the best is when a fox was locked onboard when we were in the desert.

a2jacketpatches

One night I showed up for guardmount at Loring wearing new BDU's that I didn't have insignia applied to yet, shift commander had me cleaning toilets and mopping floors all night. Heard him on my radio, he was at the alert aircraft parking area. While cleaning up his office I found his GAU (short m16) on top of the desk. So I put it in the trash can and covered it up. As he came in the door at about 90MPH I said "Lieutenant" He said not now Collins. So I gave it a minute and went to his door, knock once, march straight to desk, "Sir Airman Collins Reports, I found the shift commanders weapon and secured it in the trash can for him" :lol: Talk about one scared butter bar :lol: and I had what we called skate duty for a month on a fire team.

Phantomfixer

many thanks to Couchy/ Ausreenactor for hooking me up with a nice plastic name tag holder...It will be (Ithink) going on a MA-1....will post pics when complete the army navy still does black leather name tags...