• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-51 parka shell / M-65 parka liner

geedee

Hi guys I have a question which I hope you guys considerable knowledge base will be able to help me with. I have an M-51 parka shell, and want a liner for it, but I been told that the M-51 liner ("Freeze" liner) weighs like a ton, so I'm thinking I might be good if I could get the lighter weight M-65 parka liner and wear it with the M-51 shell - assuming the liner button-holes align with the shell's buttons. Has anyone ever tried this? Would an M-65 field jacket liner maybe work?
Thanks guys!

geedee

???
Checked on this which I have beside me, and it is not off-center at all. The zipper is exactly in the middle as it has to be on the contract m51 parka.
Hey Erwin, is that an original one that you got there? Or a repro? All the M51 Freez liners I've ever seen had buttons to fasten them into the shell, not a zip? Thanks!

Erwin

I do not own any repro, my comment was regarding the comment that the zipper is not center-aligned in the m51 parka [this was not correct].
53306152510_4f633e142a_b.jpg

53305921128_de837d5719_b.jpg

All the M51 Freez liners I've ever seen had buttons to fasten them into the shell, not a zip?
Again no, liners [genuine US Army ones based on MIL-P-11012 specification] do not have any buttons, only plackets beside edges, to allow attachment to buttons on the parka shell [MIL-P-11013].

Last edited:

geedee

my bad, I write *buttons when I should have said *buttonholes, the buttons themselves are on the shell. thanks for clarifying.

Erwin

No problem at all, you can attach a m65 liner but it doesn't fit properly. The best option in my opinion is to use a thin downjacket, it is way warmer and more comfortable. Also if it is warm enough, you can just put the down jacket into the pocket. I have another mint m51 parka with alpaca liner, never wear it as it is a bit heavy, prefer shell only but also not very often.

geedee

very helpful, i use a down jacket under my M51 currently so its good to know that's actually the warmest and most practical option. thanks again Erwin!

physcult

Hi guys I have a question which I hope you guys considerable knowledge base will be able to help me with. I have an M-51 parka shell, and want a liner for it, but I been told that the M-51 liner ("Freeze" liner) weighs like a ton, so I'm thinking I might be good if I could get the lighter weight M-65 parka liner and wear it with the M-51 shell - assuming the liner button-holes align with the shell's buttons. Has anyone ever tried this? Would an M-65 field jacket liner maybe work?
Thanks guys!

physcult

There are two liners for the M51 Parka , one is very heavy and the other more common frieze liner is a medium weight . The heavy one is a much nicer, higher quality item, but rarer and often more expensive. it’s the heaviest and the warmest. I think only M48 liners are heavier but I can’t find an M48 liner at a decent price . If you want the lightest, just buy the M65 liner. All three liners fit ok in mine . I think everything pretty much fits all years . Liners and hoods. All years seem to be interchangeable imho. Which makes sense that the army would mix old and new designs for functionality . Here’s a link with good info https://www.itsamodthing.com/frequently_asked_questions.html#:~:text=The later produced and most,it is still incredibly warm.

Last edited:

geedee

Hi Physcult that's really helpful, so that suggests a M65 liner will button into a M51 parka! I guess I need to get hold of a M65 liner from somewhere and just try it out!

Erwin

I think everything pretty much fits all years .
In my case, [tried a few sizes] the m65 liners, did not match the M51 shell completely. That's why m65 parka liner stayed with the m65 shell. Maybe some fit, but in general, these military liners are awful, do not provide good insulation, and have zero breathability [which for any cold weather jacket is a must in my opinion]. Some people like these liners, some don't ;)

physcult

Hi Physcult that's really helpful, so that suggests a M65 liner will button into a M51 parka! I guess I need to get hold of a M65 liner from somewhere and just try it out!
remember the liners are also sized. As are the hoods ( although some people say hoods fit regardless of the size ) If it doesn’t quite line up you can always move the buttons . I find that the hoods rarely completely line up even if they are supposed to. I think it’s likely they were never perfect. https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/348448-m-51-liner-problem/#comment-2786718