• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-43 Field Jacket Liners

asiamiles

I just received my second Buzz liner (right) and was surprised to find it different to the one I already had. It's an earlier model and is in excellent used condition, while the one I already had is still unworn. As you can see the colour is different - which, as with the original field jackets themselves, I would imagine may well have not been that uncommon - but the main difference is that the sleeves are blanket lined whereas the one I already had has pile throughout. Does anyone know if this reflects different kinds of liners produced back in the day, as presumably Buzz had originals in their possession to use as templates for their repros?

2xliners_zpsra50baux.jpg

Last edited:

jack31916

I had an original WW2 one and it had pile lined sleeves. I'm not sure about this but the post war / Korean war era liners were completely lined with had a sort of rayon. Never seen one with blanket wool lined sleeves...

chamboid

I think the quality of some of the buzz stuff varies. Though having said that's so do the originals.

Most of the ww2 liners I've found have crisp cotton outer fabric and quite shiny alpaca which lines the sleeves also. There was an early war model with had a rayon type lining over the alpaca.

The later post war one I have has a much much softer and thinner cotton outer fabric and are lined with wool pile in the body, and wool blanket lined sleeves.
These also came with the rayon type lining

asiamiles

Most of the ww2 liners I've found have crisp cotton outer fabric and quite shiny alpaca which lines the sleeves also.
<snip>
The later post war one I have has a much much softer and thinner cotton outer fabric and are lined with wool pile in the body, and wool blanket lined sleeves.
Thanks for that info. The two Buzz liners I have would seem to very accurately reproduce these two different originals, right down to the 'shiny' alpaca you mention.

The latter one is lighter and feels like it could serve as a jacket liner while the earlier one is more like a jacket in itself and it's hard to imagine wearing another layer over the top of it.