• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-422a repro - Gibson and Barnes

RCSignals

Well I asked them about fit, for a 40 and a 42.

This is what they replied about a 40
The sleeve length on a 40R is 33” long.

The cut of our jackets are more on the generous side rather than the slimmer

Military style. The chest 'room' allowance of a size 40 jacket has 12" of ease.

Seems short for sleeve length and 12" of ease is in overcoat territory I think

If I'm interpreting that correctly that would be 52" total around the chest.

ScottoLaw

Hello,

I recently sent my M422a in 40R back for a 40S. I'm a 44 chest. GBs run rather big in my experience. Does the 33 arm length include the knits? My 40R sleeves were at least two inches long. I'm a 34 sleeve. Hope that helps? Awsum jacket BTW.

RCSignals

Thanks. I'll have to clarify again if that sleeve length includes the knits. It should but if you are a 34" sleeve and a 40 regular with what they say is 33" sleeve was long on you, something is not right.

A

Anonymous

They measure the sleeve from the center of the neck?

zoomer

44R here with a 35" sleeve. I had this jacket in 40R, which was tight, especially around the middle aged parts, and a touch stale at the cuffs.

I eventually got a 42R which solved both problems, but is not oversized. (G&B may be measuring the boxback expanded to come up with those chest numbers.) The neck is a bit snug when latched up, but I can live with that. The quality shows, and feels. The goaty is really soft and the whole production is on a high level.

I don't think it's stitch Nazi accurate - their A-2s do not try to be, anyway. The color is a dark G-1 shade of seal, whereas '422As usually were a little on the chocolatey side. But it has the extra width pocket with pencil slot and a nice brick-red liner (probably poly satin rather than the classic rayon).

RCSignals

PLATON said:
They measure the sleeve from the center of the neck?

Yes as for a shirt.
For me that measurement from the center of the neck/back works for shirts but not always for a leather jacket when it comes to final expected fit

ScottoLaw

Here are some pics of the 40R I recently sent back for a short. For me the sleeves were just too long so I am going to try the short which will bring the sleeves 1.5in shorter. I found the coat overall real nice.

photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

Feb26Downloads014.jpg

Feb26Downloads005.jpg

zoomer

Is your mouton really that light? Mine's much darker - about the shade of the leather.

RCSignals

ScottoLaw it looks very good. They must be telling me a measurement with the pleats fully open, although I don't know why that would be.

ScottoLaw

Thanks. The mouton is pretty light. I think the pics accurately depict the color shade. I'm hoping they can get me a 40S in two weeks so I can get some wear time before the temps heat up. Here a few more pics. One with an ELC G1 for comparison of the mouton and leather color.

Regards,
Scott

028.jpg

Feb26Downloads004.jpg

zoomer

RCSignals said:
ScottoLaw it looks very good. They must be telling me a measurement with the pleats fully open, although I don't know why that would be.
Might be the HPA theory: "do you go around with your arms folded all day?" Meaning: "you the maker can accommodate the arm-folders or not, but either way, they're eejits."

johnwayne

Gotta say I think the collar looks on the large size for M442a - even the ELC comparison shows the M442a is generally smaller/narrower and more pointed - I've an Aero M442a that is tha same and I've always thought it more like an early G1 (a la ELC's version). I guess it depends how authentic you want to be but certainly the colour is one that you do see similar on originals, whether they started life like that or faded I'm not sure. Leather looks soft an supple too, my Aero used to stand up on its own!!

cheers
Wayne

ScottoLaw

Thanks for the pic Zoomer. Looks nice. The GB collar is bigger than the ELC G1
for certain. The GB is very comfortable and well made. Collar size seems
in proportion to the GB coat albeit arguably larger than original issue specs may have
called for. I like the russet mouton.

Ill post up pics of an ELC M422a later.

Thx
Scott

ScottoLaw

I am pretty new on this topic, but I suppose it would not surprise me to learn collar sizes may have had some slight size variation. Here a few pics of ELC M422a.

Regards,
Scott

066.jpg

069.jpg

RCSignals

I've had more correspondence form G+B

They say the size 40 really does have a 52" measurement

The finished measurement of the size 40 is 52”.

They also state that 52" finish size would be tight fitting on a person with a 46" chest measurement. Confusing to me that would be the case.

269sqnhudson

RCSignals said:
I've had more correspondence form G+B

They say the size 40 really does have a 52" measurement

The finished measurement of the size 40 is 52”.

They also state that 52" finish size would be tight fitting on a person with a 46" chest measurement. Confusing to me that would be the case.

Might include the gusset. If measuring accross the chest you'd possibly also be measuring the lower part of the underarm gusset