• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-1948 Parka Liner?

asiamiles

I've just acquired a RM M-1948 Parka and am wondering what are the options for a liner? A cheap repro or a civi liner - as long as they can be securely buttoned in - would be preferable to an expensive original or high-end repro.

Having never had such a garment before do I really need a liner, or are unlined parkas useful and wearable as is? Presumably they were originally intended for wear over a Field Jacket, and Mods tended to wear them over a tailored jacket, but I doubt I'd be looking to wear a jacket beneath it.

ausreenactor

Try a cheap M-65 liner. There are good M-51 liners available too... Just button in the OD buttons where required at the end of the sleeves and near the waist? I did it with our DPCU Para Smocks..

Couchy

a2jacketpatches

No time right now, but if you search my posts back to 2011 some time in the fall, I found the parka with liner. That thing had me scratching like crazy just from moving it around for photos. i remember I was wearing a Tshirt and had to take a shower right away. Not sure what they're made of but I wouldn't recommend one.

foster

a2jacketpatches said:
No time right now, but if you search my posts back to 2011 some time in the fall, I found the parka with liner. That thing had me scratching like crazy just from moving it around for photos. i remember I was wearing a Tshirt and had to take a shower right away. Not sure what they're made of but I wouldn't recommend one.

Sounds like fiberglass! :eek:

watchmanjimg

a2jacketpatches said:

At first I was thinking of the type used in the M51 field jacket and parka, but I did some quick Googling and apparently there was an M48 liner made from fiberglass . . . :eek:

chamboid

Yep it was Fiberglass, with boult in hood liner. Itchy as well as heavy. M-51 first issue heavier 'sateen' cotton used a wool with silk lining. And then subsequent issues cotton poplin used the 'freeze' liber, woven wool terry cloth with slink liner.

Unless your going -15 get the terry cloth you might have to move some buttons rounds, but it's lighter and more comfortable than te other liners.

asiamiles

Will check measurements to see if it fits. My parka is XS while the liner is a M (S having sold out).