• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LVC 501s

Cobblers161

Nice! Looks like someones been doin' a lot of prayin'! I gotta admit you have the art of wearing in licked.

Grant, what's the model of those Lee repros? They look sweet. Up till now been a Levis LVC man but these could quite easily turn me to the dark side.

Grant

They're the '42 Lee's. If you really want to see the best of the dark side check out the Real McCoy's Lee's.

Cobblers161

Hmmm... Seen some on Rakuten.

What's the sizing like in say a 36" will it shrink to tag size or smaller? Looking for about a 35 or 34 waist?

Thanks...

Cobblers161

The 42 Lee's, The McCoys are very nice but out of my immediate price range.

I've only found 34's available in the 42's.

Grant

I've found Edwin Lee's are cut larger than the size indicated. My '42 Lee's are labeled waist sz. 33 and fit more like a 34/35. After a couple of cold water washings/hang dry they've shrunk very little if any in the waist. Hope that helps!

Cobblers161

That's great, thanks. I guess a 34" waist should be about right then.... Now we'll just have to see if I have the patience you fellas share to wear them in.

Grant

Just to make sure the sizing is right ask the seller to send measurements. I've found all the Japanese repro makers sizes tend to vary. Good luck and have fun breaking them in - just avoid washing as little as possible and you'll be rewarded.

airfrogusmc

Yeah ya pray a lot when you own your own business :lol: Break'n down and set'n up lights, backdrops and such but its actually more the thighs which always wear quickly on my jeans.

airfrogusmc

Cobblers161 said:
Nice! Looks like someones been doin' a lot of prayin'! I gotta admit you have the art of wearing in licked.

Grant, what's the model of those Lee repros? They look sweet. Up till now been a Levis LVC man but these could quite easily turn me to the dark side.

Soak'm as little as posible for at least the first year and WAIT on the first soak as long as you can stand them.

airfrogusmc

1915s are here. Man ordered on Friday and in my hands Tuesday AM from Germany.

Some quick photos of the 1915s .

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

New buckle type. Maybe stronger than the old ones I hope.
IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

Swing

Grant said:
Just to make sure the sizing is right ask the seller to send measurements. I've found all the Japanese repro makers sizes tend to vary. Good luck and have fun breaking them in - just avoid washing as little as possible and you'll be rewarded.

There's two threads at superdenim full of vintage pictures featuring jeans. I've yet to see a pair that display wear like that seen on "wear and never wash" modern jeans. My rule is hot wash inside out for initial shrinkage, wear daily for a month or two (preferably in the winter) to get things started. After that, wear daily and wash inside out as needed. I don't know how people go without washing jeans in the summer. Right now I'm wearing my Full Counts daily and have to wash them once a week (and the unworn areas are still as dark or darker than my new Warehouse #800s). I'm not going to have an extreme sharp contrast between the worn and unworn areas, but there is a contrast, and IMO, they look like a worn pair of jeans would have 55 year ago.

~Swing

Cobblers161

Jesus! Will Airfrog and Grant please refrain from more denim shots! This is killing both me and my wallet.

Any chance of any fit pics on the 1915's? The Cone Mills collaboration is long overdue and most welcome. Never having tried a pair without belt loops I'm rather interested. I imagine the denim is going to age beautifully.

Nice one.

stanier

Hi Gents, I too am really taken with the '42 Lee, Cobblers did you get a pair and if so how did they measure out?

I also need a 36 waist when all shrinkage out of the way, though I'm not so fussed about sizing as some. As long as they're not tight around the waist I don't mind them being a bit big.

Grant, sorry if a daft question, but how do you know if a pair is Edwin Lees, McCoys Lee or Lee?

I've sent an e-mail to Jeans Neshi to see how his 34 waist measures and if he can get 36 or 38

Cheers

Grant

Not a daft question at all. Basically Edwin makes the most models of repro Lee's from Japan.
I think they make '34, '36, '42,'44 and '52 Lee's whereas Real MCoy's makes only the '50's 101-B and 60's 101Z models and then only in limited runs. Real McCoy's Lee's are probably thee most accurate repro denim I've seen yet. It's spooky how close they reproduced the old left hand twill Lee denim with that dark indigo color and Lee rivets and stitching. Don't get me wrong, the Edwin Lee's are still awesome and far superior to most LVC stuff.

I wouldn't even bother putting the European Lee repro stuff in the same catagory as the Japanese Lee's. Their stuff really blows.

Hope that helps.

stanier

Thanks for the reply Grant.

I've had an e-mail back from Jeans Neshi and it's not great news. He tells me that the '42 Lee typically measure 36.5" waist in a size 34" but they will shrink down to about 34.5" eventually, which makes them not really a possibility for me.

Having said that he does not have a size 34 in stock and they're not being made at the moment, which is a shame IMHO.

If anyone knows where the '42 is available in a size 36 by any chance, please let me know!

Cheers all

Doug C

airfrog: GREAT JEANS, the 1915s! thanks for the detailed pics, especially the different buckle which I like alot better than some that LVC have used (cough..1920 201's..cough). Will you be snipping the little cross piece off and making two "prongs" out of it like it would have originally been? Also, I have to wonder - do you think those prongs would have originally been made of copper?

Doug C

Doug C

BTW, does anyone here have the LVC "Sunset Wool" pullover workshirt? I like it alot but was wondering if it's extremely itchy like the thick vintage stuff used to be OR would you say it's more of a soft wool closer to like a vintage flannel shirt?

Doug C