• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Luftwaffe summer flight jacket or "Kanaljacke"

Enigma1938

I'm all alone at home this Sunday morning so I thought I could da a little review about some jackets.
This here is a few years old reproduction of a german Luftwaffe summer flight jacket made by SM Wholesale in the USA. There were a few different variants of official issued summer flight jackets in the Luftwaffe, they differ in things like collar or waist area but the overall cut remained the same.
I always liked this jacket for its look, lightweight and it's history. There are plenty of makers out there which are making reproductions of this jacket but unfortunately most of them look like crap - wrong cuts, shitty material and details, some look to be complete fantasy.
In my opinion SM Wholesale is the only company that provides a faithful replica of this type of jackets. It was a little uneasy to deal with them but in the end they did a great job.

All the Details in this Repro are matching to originals. The shell is made of fine cotton twill and the liner is made of a sateen material (germans used sateen frequently for uniform liners in ww2). There's a map pocket on the outside of the left breast and a leather tab near the zipper to attach oxygen hoses. There are inner sleeves with elastic cuffs to prevent wind and cold from getting in. The cuffs and collar are equipped with yhe typical greyblue glass buttons.
The cut of this jackets is relaxed / roomy because they were meant to be worn over the Uniform / Fliegerbluse so that makes them pretty comfortable to wear.

I let SM wholesale attach an pre-denazified LW Eagle with the typical zig zag seam.
For the sake of Authenticity I changed the Zipper puller / slider to an original wartime Rapid one.
20230326_095753.jpg
20230326_095850.jpg
20230326_100005.jpg
20230326_100011.jpg
20230326_100050.jpg

Kermit3D

I'm all alone at home this Sunday morning so I thought I could da a little review about some jackets.
This here is a few years old reproduction of a german Luftwaffe summer flight jacket made by SM Wholesale in the USA. There were a few different variants of official issued summer flight jackets in the Luftwaffe, they differ in things like collar or waist area but the overall cut remained the same.
I always liked this jacket for its look, lightweight and it's history. There are plenty of makers out there which are making reproductions of this jacket but unfortunately most of them look like crap - wrong cuts, shitty material and details, some look to be complete fantasy.
In my opinion SM Wholesale is the only company that provides a faithful replica of this type of jackets. It was a little uneasy to deal with them but in the end they did a great job.

All the Details in this Repro are matching to originals. The shell is made of fine cotton twill and the liner is made of a sateen material (germans used sateen frequently for uniform liners in ww2). There's a map pocket on the outside of the left breast and a leather tab near the zipper to attach oxygen hoses. There are inner sleeves with elastic cuffs to prevent wind and cold from getting in. The cuffs and collar are equipped with yhe typical greyblue glass buttons.
The cut of this jackets is relaxed / roomy because they were meant to be worn over the Uniform / Fliegerbluse so that makes them pretty comfortable to wear.

I let SM wholesale attach an pre-denazified LW Eagle with the typical zig zag seam.
For the sake of Authenticity I changed the Zipper puller / slider to an original wartime Rapid one.
View attachment 102629View attachment 102631View attachment 102633View attachment 102635View attachment 102637

Thank you for this very complete review. It's a great jacket that you don't see every day.
When you say that it's difficult to deal with SM Wholesale, can you tell us the difficulties you faced?
I must admit that I would love to have the same one without the little bird...

Kermit3D

Great jacket…
Here is one of mine… only WW2 hardware, WW2 glass buttons, WW2 ZIPP , WW2 Prym, WW2 oxy loop. It will be listed for 450 Euro as soon as I am back in Europe ( PC photos).View attachment 102659View attachment 102661View attachment 102663View attachment 102665View attachment 102667View attachment 102669View attachment 102671View attachment 102675
Beautiful jacket Brice. Did you make it ? It is impressive.
Is it possible that you present us the jackets/clothing you make in a dedicated thread ? I'm sure many forum members would be interested.

Enigma1938

The difficulties were that I simply placed my order and waited patiently but after weeks still no response from the seller so sent a email asking what's the reason for the delay. The answer came late with some annoyed bland explanations why so, but should be finished soon. After another week again no response, so I asked again... and again... no response anymore but after four weeks finally a shipping note.
I had the impression that the guys at SM wholesale were horribly busy with something and that my order was ...um... not welcome to this time.
I don't assume that's the standard procedure there, maybe just caught a wrong time...

Kermit3D

The difficulties were that I simply placed my order and waited patiently but after weeks still no response from the seller so sent a email asking what's the reason for the delay. The answer came late with some annoyed bland explanations why so, but should be finished soon. After another week again no response, so I asked again... and again... no response anymore but after four weeks finally a shipping note.
I had the impression that the guys at SM wholesale were horribly busy with something and that my order was ...um... not welcome to this time.
I don't assume that's the standard procedure there, maybe just caught a wrong time...

I heard someone else complaining about SM Wholesale, but I don't remember who, and in what context...
It's a shame, they have nice products, but these comments don't really instill confidence.

Was it you who specifically asked for the Eagle without the swastika (the swastika is present in the pictures on the SM Wholesale website) ?
By any chance do you know if the jacket is available without the eagle ?

Again I am impressed with the historical fidelity of the cut and materials... really a great jacket !
$249 seems like a great price.

Enigma1938

I heard someone else complaining about SM Wholesale, but I don't remember who, and in what context...
It's a shame, they have nice products, but these comments don't really instill confidence.

Was it you who specifically asked for the Eagle without the swastika (the swastika is present in the pictures on the SM Wholesale website) ?
By any chance do you know if the jacket is available without the eagle ?

Again I am impressed with the historical fidelity of the cut and materials... really a great jacket !
$249 seems like a great price.
Yes I asked specifically for the denazified eagle because i wanted it to be most possible authentic whitout some Nazi symbols. And yes they can do it without an eagle also. The jacket on Wholesales website is an prototype or early model, the jacket I received had some improvements like the lining material for example.

Last edited: