• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lostworlds new action on eaby

jonbuilder

How many have taken notice of Lostworlds sudden furry of listing on ebay/ Check out the completed listings and you might notice stew getting some takers at high prices. My thoughts are the novelty I would never buy another lostworlds and just doesn’t understand the price compare to Aero

TankBuster

I thought it was more interesting that he was selling off a fair amount of
his originals from his collection. He blew me off when I inquired, because
I had never purchased one of his repros! :lol:

A

Anonymous

TankBuster said:

I have a LW A-2 in goat and I like the jacket , it is represented on the site as the evolution of the A-2 if they had continued to make it after the war which I agree with.The jacket is for the most part perfect in every way except for the zipper ,but that said it is also its downfall and is too perfect without character.The stiches are lazer straight and so is the cutting and assembly are perfect no one could do better .That is the total reverse of the man who owns LW and how he runs his buisiness like a door man on an exclusive night club picking and choosing who should be worthy to come in to his buisiness LOst world with him ,ask the wrong question and conversation over .
If he would bite his tongue and or let someone else deal with the general public in his company he would not have to sell his merchandise on Ebay .Having owned a buisiness for 10 years ,I know it sounds nice the only thing that screws it up is the F#@King customers who seem to think it is their mission in life to make you a miserable as they are (misery loves company ).Having said that I smiled took their money paid the bills ,your customers are not your friends .Stew at lost worlds needs to get his house in order otherwise his house of cards is going to collapse and it is going to be on his shoulders .
I bought my LW jacket on ebay and have never met the man or spoken to him ,nor do I want to .It just strikes me strange that most people work hard to make a buisiness grow and gain a reputation with in you field for quality and service .This man works hard to shrink his market by his abrasive manner painting the competion and the customers as morons wandering in the dark without direction or purpose.

All the best Jeff

John Lever

I think it's the recession and LW are feeling the pinch. Compared to other home grown manufacturers they are high priced, and orders could be down.
I would think orders from the UK are non-existent at the moment.

mazeta

Aero may be kind and polite to the typical compulsive jacketeer, and may have more designs, but they can't touch a full-price custom made Lost Worlds on quality.
Maybe Stu Clurman should change his name to Keyser Söze.

A

Anonymous

John Lever said:
I think it's the recession and LW are feeling the pinch. Compared to other home grown manufacturers they are high priced, and orders could be down.
I would think orders from the UK are non-existent at the moment.

Recession or not the strong will survive by adapting and inovating to meet the needs of paying the overheads ,which is why he is selling on ebay .Whats going to happen when that stock laying around is gone and there is nothing else to sell .A better name for his company would be Shock & Stun or how about Lost Souls or even better Lost Sales .

All the best Jeff

Vcruiser

mazeta said:
Aero may be kind and polite to the typical compulsive jacketeer, and may have more designs, but they can't touch a full-price custom made Lost Worlds on quality.

I respectfully disagree. I've had both. I think that the quality is quite comparable....but moreso in Aero's favor is the type or finish of their horsehide. It doesn't have the tough polylike deeply dyed seemingly painted on finish as LW's HH. Although extremely durable LW HH comes across as overly indestructable to many. Rather than gaining charactor...marbling...and an eventual antiqued highlighted appearance...it generally remains looking new with only a pebbly..or stretch marked like heavy coated outer finish. I suppose it boils down to just what kind of jacket one is looking for.
IMO..I havent run across any maker of HH utility jackes that can touch Aero's HH. It is just so unique.
Van

John Lever

mazeta said:
I never intended to say this but on several of my Lost worlds jackets I could see double sided tape beneath seams. To me this seems a little like cheating.
Aero use no glue or tape, and their horse hide is fantastic.

Tommer45

DUBOWA2 said:
A better name for his company would be Shock & Stun or how about Lost Souls or even better Lost Sales .

Speaking of lost sales.. I've noted in the past that I was disappointed with Stu when I ordered from him (why I went through with the order I don't know), but it was his customer service - or lack thereof - that drove my brother to Langlitz when he was so dead set on a LW moto jacket. And even though I love every pic I see of LW's Buco J23, I would sooner order a look-a-like Black Stallion from Legendary than get one from Stu.

Just my 2 cents.

Tommer

les_garten

DUBOWA2 said:
TankBuster said:

I have a LW A-2 in goat and I like the jacket , it is represented on the site as the evolution of the A-2 if they had continued to make it after the war which I agree with.The jacket is for the most part perfect in every way except for the zipper ,but that said it is also its downfall and is too perfect without character.The stiches are lazer straight and so is the cutting and assembly are perfect no one could do better .That is the total reverse of the man who owns LW and how he runs his buisiness like a door man on an exclusive night club picking and choosing who should be worthy to come in to his buisiness LOst world with him ,ask the wrong question and conversation over .
If he would bite his tongue and or let someone else deal with the general public in his company he would not have to sell his merchandise on Ebay .Having owned a buisiness for 10 years ,I know it sounds nice the only thing that screws it up is the F#@King customers who seem to think it is their mission in life to make you a miserable as they are (misery loves company ).Having said that I smiled took their money paid the bills ,your customers are not your friends .Stew at lost worlds needs to get his house in order otherwise his house of cards is going to collapse and it is going to be on his shoulders .
I bought my LW jacket on ebay and have never met the man or spoken to him ,nor do I want to .It just strikes me strange that most people work hard to make a buisiness grow and gain a reputation with in you field for quality and service .This man works hard to shrink his market by his abrasive manner painting the competion and the customers as morons wandering in the dark without direction or purpose.

All the best Jeff

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

les_garten

Tommer45 said:
DUBOWA2 said:
A better name for his company would be Shock & Stun or how about Lost Souls or even better Lost Sales .

Speaking of lost sales.. I've noted in the past that I was disappointed with Stu when I ordered from him (why I went through with the order I don't know), but it was his customer service - or lack thereof - that drove my brother to Langlitz when he was so dead set on a LW moto jacket. And even though I love every pic I see of LW's Buco J23, I would sooner order a look-a-like Black Stallion from Legendary than get one from Stu.

Just my 2 cents.

Tommer

NO SOUP FOR YOU EITHER!! NEXT!!

duke

I have two Lost Worlds Jackets that I have had since last summer. I have tried to sell them on Ebay a few times without any success. The pricing on Lost Worlds jackets is so high that it makes it hard to appreciate the actual jackets. I think that they are worth the same as Eastman products and Aero, too. Not less but not more as they currently are priced.

I have also had two Eastman jackets that were difficult to find a buyer for as well. I got taken by HPA (I would never buy anything from them ever again) but was treated impeccably by Eastman on my ANJ-4. The Ebay market has really taken a hit! I don't think it is going to be good for LW business.

I have owned two Aero jackets (FQHH Cafe' Racer and Highwayman) that were easily sold on Ebay. That was before the economic downturns. But really, I think that the familiarity of Aero products is higher than Lost Worlds, therefore more people are interested in them. All three of these makers have quality. They are all very different, however. I like them all but for different, almost intagible reasons.

My Lost Worlds jackets are the ones that get worn the most. I hope that all the premium makers are around for a long time.

Duke

les_garten

duke said:
I have two Lost Worlds Jackets that I have had since last summer. I have tried to sell them on Ebay a few times without any success. The pricing on Lost Worlds jackets is so high that it makes it hard to appreciate the actual jackets. I think that they are worth the same as Eastman products and Aero, too. Not less but not more as they currently are priced.

I have also had two Eastman jackets that were difficult to find a buyer for as well. I got taken by HPA (I would never buy anything from them ever again) but was treated impeccably by Eastman on my ANJ-4. The Ebay market has really taken a hit! I don't think it is going to be good for LW business.

I have owned two Aero jackets (FQHH Cafe' Racer and Highwayman) that were easily sold on Ebay. That was before the economic downturns. But really, I think that the familiarity of Aero products is higher than Lost Worlds, therefore more people are interested in them. All three of these makers have quality. They are all very different, however. I like them all but for different, almost intagible reasons.

My Lost Worlds jackets are the ones that get worn the most. I hope that all the premium makers are around for a long time.

Duke

10-4!! I like my LW Dubow.

I never met a Jacket I didn't like!

I just like some better than others!

But ya gotta admit, Stu goes his own way, good or bad. OR, worse or worser!

watchmanjimg

He definitely goes his own way, and in my opinion it's sad because apparently he has alienated a lot of potential repeat customers. My dealings with Stu have always been great, and he's done things for me in the course of doing business that demonstrate his integrity. At the end of the day it boils down to overall satisfaction with one's purchase, and thus far I've been happier with my LW products than those of any other repro maker. That said, I've seen a lot of improvement from ELC and Aero and won't rule out adding these fine products to my collection at some point. I too hope the premium makers stay around for a long time.

zoomer

Vcruiser said:
mazeta said:

I respectfully disagree. I've had both. I think that the quality is quite comparable....but moreso in Aero's favor is the type or finish of their horsehide. It doesn't have the tough polylike deeply dyed seemingly painted on finish as LW's HH. Although extremely durable LW HH comes across as overly indestructable to many. Rather than gaining charactor...marbling...and an eventual antiqued highlighted appearance...it generally remains looking new with only a pebbly..or stretch marked like heavy coated outer finish. I suppose it boils down to just what kind of jacket one is looking for.
LW's core market, or perhaps its motivating spirit, is riders. That must be why Stu makes so much of the toughness of the hide.

I also think he optimizes the cut of his flight jacket repros for riding. My A-2 and B-2 are most comfortable when a) sitting slightly forward, arms out front, or b) just standing around. Belt into in a car (or presumably, a plane) and that tough HH gets antsy and crawls up your waist into your armpits.

And let's not forget that "authenticity" to a lot of people - "men, not boys" :D - means copping a bit of tude. If you fancy yourself a bad dude in a bad old world, you go with it. Me, I bought 'em secondhand.

rich

From the LW website.

"Rampant and almost beyond belief on what we affectionately call "THE FAIRY FORUMS," where "men" like to talk to other "men" about how they look in flight jackets. Cross-dressers. Trainspotters. Eunuchs. The "JACKET QUEEN" phenomenon. Ambassadors of geekdom. Replicants. "

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
So no soup for me either - I'll take the calzone..........

les_garten

rich said:
From the LW website.

"Rampant and almost beyond belief on what we affectionately call "THE FAIRY FORUMS," where "men" like to talk to other "men" about how they look in flight jackets. Cross-dressers. Trainspotters. Eunuchs. The "JACKET QUEEN" phenomenon. Ambassadors of geekdom. Replicants. "

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
So no soup for me either - I'll take the calzone..........

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

zoomer

What he's saying, under all the shaming talk, is trust no one without a clear agenda.

Specifically: if you want to know about jacket quality, talk to a manufacturer, not a customer. Customers are all prejudiced, often for the stupidest of reasons, but none will admit to it. With a mfr, you at least know where you stand.

Apply this philosophy to durable goods purchases such as cars or appliances, and Consumer Reports, Epinions, and the various Ten Best Buys magazine articles and safety testing outfits would be out of business by Friday afternoon. It would be just you and the people who want your coin. And no sissying off to comparison shop with the girls - you're only restraining the right to free trade with your gossip.

rich

I'm not entirely sure I understand the thrust of your argument Zoomer. If it takes someone on a forum (which are cited as something to be despised) to explain the hidden text of the LW philosophy, then I would deem that a failure of their marketing. I will never buy a jacket from this manufacturer - no loss to LW I'm sure, but does their attitude repel more customers than it attracts? Obviously I can't answer that, but I find the hyperbole - if that's what it is - curious and unnecessary. I can think of
lots of people with clear agendas, past and present, who most definitely shouldn't be trusted.

Is it fair to say that it's important not to take anything a manufacturer says at face value because in fact they are by necessity the most prejudiced of all concerned. To this end surely the vox pop has to be a good thing? People here on the forum have helped me enormously in making buying decisions, I really don't see how it can be regarded as something negative. I can see how some
people might be frightened by it though.

You can always spot a replicant - their eyes glow red in the dark........ but I'm not sure if this applies to eunuchs.