• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Links Irvin 1941-42 Pattern (larger size, 46" Chest)

Dr H

Here is a mid-war pattern Links Irvin in a larger size (the characteristic rounded collar is evident).
The label is missing, but it compares very well with an Eastman Leather Company RAF reproduction jacket in a size 46, so presumably it equates with a size 7 or 8. I previously had a 2-panel Links from 1939 (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9528&hilit=links+irvin), but this is in better all round condition (and more complete) as the older jacket had sleeve repairs and two replacement zips.

Aside from the label, the jacket is otherwise complete: zips (front and sleeves) are period Lightnings and the belt/buckle/loops are all sturdy.
The hide needs a feed as it's a little dry from storage, but otherwise it's in very supple condition.
The fleece is incredibly dense and colourful (bronze/honey interior) with minimal loss on the cuffs and windflap.
I'll edit with measurements later.
Thanks to John Lever for taking the photos, which show the colour very well.

image1_zps4u2z1pfx.jpg

image_zpsqwc9i0o8.jpg

83c9f1ea-10bf-4a7f-9185-e314f50f3587_zpsspziko88.jpg

image1_zpsh6diloya.jpg

image_zpst2dqpzt7.jpg

image3_zpspobkpunc.jpg

image2_zps5uvgwehj.jpg

image1_zpskqjutoiz.jpg

image_zps0l847qqa.jpg

image3_zpsegtqwqaw.jpg

image2_zpsmi2jn56u.jpg

Roughwear

Congratulations of buying this very nice Links jacket Ian. It just needs some feeding and it will look even better. I guess it fits you very well.

Dr H

Thanks Andrew - this one fits extremely well - long enough in the torso, sleeves down to the knuckle, generous around the waist and chest. If anything it fits a little better than the older Links that I had.

Dr H

The basic dimensions put it closer to a 44, which is odd as it's more roomy than John's ELC RAF '42 pattern 44" that tried at the same time. Must be depth of fleece I guess.

Zipped and laid flat:

Chest (armpit to armpit) 24"
Front length (base of collar to edge of fleece) 22.5"
Back length (base of collar to edge of fleece) 24.5"
Shoulders (seam to seam) 22"
Sleeves (shoulder seam to edge of cuff, measured around edge of sleeve) 26"

Resisting the urge to put it on again as I'll get attached to it - lovely jacket indeed :roll:

Roughwear

It looks as if the jacket has been in contact with something very hot judging by the smooth circular area on the lower front right hand panel. How much are you hoping to get for it Ian?

Dr H

Roughwear said:
It looks as if the jacket has been in contact with something very hot judging by the smooth circular area on the lower front right hand panel. How much are you hoping to get for it Ian?

John Lever felt that was due to flak over Peenemunde… I defer to his greater knowledge ;)

Still trying to gauge what the market value is, in truth.
My experience of vintage jackets is limited.

John Lever

Roughwear said:
Having examined the jacket first hand I would humbly suggest that the heat scar is visual more than physical. The area is slightly rubbery that's all.
It's a wonderful jacket, a great shape and has real presence.

Roughwear

Dr H said:
Roughwear said:

John Lever felt that was due to flak over Peenemunde… I defer to his greater knowledge ;)

Still trying to gauge what the market value is, in truth.
My experience of vintage jackets is limited.

It is quite hard to give a true market value for this Links jacket. Looking at recent sales on Ebay I would estimate around the £500 mark give or take a little.

Roughwear

The first one is a more desirable early two panel jacket and sold for more than I would have expected. The second has RAF provenance which always helps. Several have sold recently for under £400. It might well sell for over £500 on Ebay and I hope it does.

Dr H

Thank you Andrew. Let's just say, it was worth the additional effort and the initial financial stretch. :D

Dr H

You certainly were, what can I say?
The Peenemunde history sold it...along with the excellent photos ;)
Owe you a beer of course...