• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

leather creak

catinhat95

I may be crazy but I like to hear a creak in the leather jacket that I am wearing. To me if the jacket doesn't creak then I might as well be wearing cotton or wool. I'v had a couple of high quality original horsehide police jackets that always creaked. I have also noticed that just about all of the so called high end leather jackets you see in malls do not creak. My question is this; Do original leather flight jackets make that creaking noise as well? Is this something that only good quality leather does or am I completely wrong here.

Vcruiser

catinhat95 said:
I may be crazy but I like to hear a creak in the leather jacket that I am wearing. To me if the jacket doesn't creak then I might as well be wearing cotton or wool. I'v had a couple of high quality original horsehide police jackets that always creaked. I have also noticed that just about all of the so called high end leather jackets you see in malls do not creak. My question is this; Do original leather flight jackets make that creaking noise as well? Is this something that only good quality leather does or am I completely wrong here.

I must say that most of my "high quality" leather jackets do not creak....or not to any very noticable degree. Mine consist of a half dozen or so Aero utility jackets of different hides...several Aero A2 repros and shearling. An original A2 and G1. Also several vintage MC jackets.
The only jacket that I've owned that "creaked" to any great degree was my first repro A2...a LostWorlds....and also a LostWorlds MC jacket that I owned for a short time. I would bet that it has more to do with how the hide is finished more than anything else. I couldn't put on ...or move without the LWs creaking loudly. I have never owned an original...or vintage leather jacket that could match LW for letting everyone know that you have entered the room. They are a quality jacket..and if you like creaky leather...they got it...FOREVER...IMHO.
Van

I agree with Vcruiser my Lost worlds creaked like a mother f*%er.One time I went to the movies with the wife,and had a bucket of popcorn every time I moved my arm the Lost Worlds A-2 would creak,eventually I got shoooooosht. :oops: It was kind of funny during the sex scenes though :lol:

jacketimp

Good Wear Fan said:
I agree with Vcruiser my Lost worlds creaked like a mother f*%er.One time I went to the movies with the wife,and had a bucket of popcorn every time I moved my arm the Lost Worlds A-2 would creak,eventually I got shoooooosht. :oops: It was kind of funny during the sex scenes though :lol:

which was louder.......the popcorn or the jacket ;)

STEVE S.

my goatskin m-422a's are noisy as can be. i always thought they were noisier than horse. seems like the horse & cow are noisier when the hides are thicker, such as a motorcycle jacket.

STEVE S.

Good Wear Fan said:

we need some updated pics of the 40 pickup! any new projects??

I just got the 40` home to put back together.A couple of pics for ya.

40Ford314.jpg

40Ford376.jpg

40Ford351.jpg

Geir

I have 2 LW jackets which both creak: G1 (goat) and A1 (horse). The A1 is the worst, when I sit absolutely still in a chair it creaks when I breathe, rather like the rigging of a sailing ship.
So if you want jackets that creak go with Lost Worlds.

Chandler

Vcruiser said:
I must say that most of my "high quality" leather jackets do not creak....or not to any very noticable degree.

I can't say that I agree that "creak" comes from some degree of leather quality, more than from finish and/or hide weight.

For instance, I have a goatskin jacket that is chrome-tanned and spray-dyed. The hide is soft and very pliable and makes no noise during movement at all. I have a second goatskin jacket that is vegetable tanned and semi-aniline finish that makes some noise with movement. Both are probably the same weight hides.

I also used to own an old A-2 "repro" from one of the minor players (the one from NJ, sorry I can't recall the name) that was chrome tanned and spray dyed -- and very, very thin hide (paper-like) that made no noise at all.

There's also the drying out of hides that will heighten creak in some hides.

Chandler

catinhat95

I am awaiting a jacket form Aero which is made fromVeg tanned jerky HH. Am I safe to assume that I will have to live without my beloved creak?

Chandler

Depends on the finish and hide weight I suppose.

You want it to creak? Dry it out -- toss it in the dryer at high heat! I'm just kidding, of course...

Chandler