• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest 25 FIS patch handmade attempt

deand

In anticipation of a more historically accurate cap one day, I am beginning another 25th FIS hand embroidered patch for it. This time, I'm bringing to bear all the hints I've received from members of this forum, and anticipate that it will turn out well. The actual outlines of the elements of the patch can be adjusted as I go, so you'll notice some elements have sketchy outlines. The greatest challenge will be to keep it as round as possible. And it's very relaxing to work on, to boot!

1224120804.jpg

1224120804a-1.jpg

The Goal.

25th.jpg

dean

deand

Thank you, Marcel and Atkins, you both have always been inspirational to me. Your encouragement is much appreciated. One thing haunts me: keeping it round! :|

dean

dmar836

Keep us updated. I don't thing I would have the patience. What about using a zig zag machine for some of it?

Dave

deand

dmar836 said:
Keep us updated. I don't thing I would have the patience. What about using a zig zag machine for some of it?

Dave

Could use a machine, but I just don't have the expertise. It actually goes pretty fast. Each stitch is a doubled thread which really speeds up the coverage. Only limit is the time I can spend and my hand getting a bit sore from the repetition of sewing. Keeping it round is really the biggest challenge. Otherwise it goes about as fast as a paint by number. I'll definitely post update shots.

dean

dmar836

One thing that might help is to make sure you keep a light hand. Just guessing but I'd imagine the cumulative tension of taut threads would wreak havoc once the hoop is released.

a2jacketpatches

A zig zag (satin stitch) would speed things up, but it is tight and would distort any shape you're trying to make with it. About all it would be good for here is filling in some red, only some. I think there will always be a little distortion but remember that you can stretch it a bit later. I've used heavy starch to stiffen fabric, and washed it out later only to watch the whole patch pucker up tighter than a bulls azz. But it was easily stretched back into place over the course of drying and ends up looking very realistic, imperfect.

deand

Updates: The blue requires more careful blending and is a little slower going. Needs more on what little I've done.

1227120543.jpg

1227122006.jpg

dean

Rutger

Yes, this looks very promising. Much more an authentic replica from a fifties patch that does look like a fifties patch, and not like a 2012 patch that merely copies the theme from a fifties patch.
Yeah, I can understand your worries about distortion, but maybe a lot of fifties patches had that problem as well to a noticable extend, so some distortion might actually add to the character. I seem to remember having seen and/or owned supposedly round patches that were actually a bit oval or even slightly asymmetric oval. These were (I suppose) machine made though.
I envy you for your persistence and patience.

Why the theme of the 25th FIS?

cheers
Rutger

deand

Rutger said:
Yes, this looks very promising. Much more an authentic replica from a fifties patch that does look like a fifties patch, and not like a 2012 patch that merely copies the theme from a fifties patch.
Yeah, I can understand your worries about distortion, but maybe a lot of fifties patches had that problem as well to a noticable extend, so some distortion might actually add to the character. I seem to remember having seen and/or owned supposedly round patches that were actually a bit oval or even slightly asymmetric oval. These were (I suppose) machine made though.
I envy you for your persistence and patience.

Why the theme of the 25th FIS?

cheers
Rutger

Only because I have color photos of pilots of the 25th FIS wearing red 8 panel ball caps with the patch on them. It keeps it from being a fantasy cap, and rather a historically verified combination. It is also an easy patch to reproduce with such a simple image. Thank you for your comments!

dean