• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Large A2 from a familiar seller!

442RCT

I haven't the slightest, but I was wondering, with all the repairs that it's going to require, i.e.-zipper, lining, divot out of the pocket flap, etc., is this jacket worth anywhere near the BIN price ?

Roughwear

442RCT said:
I haven't the slightest, but I was wondering, with all the repairs that it's going to require, i.e.-zipper, lining, divot out of the pocket flap, etc., is this jacket worth anywhere near the BIN price ?

It would be very challenging to restore this jacket, without rebuilding the front panels.The button holes could be sewn up, I guess and a zip could be installed. I think the BIN price is rather high.

Roughwear

442RCT said:
Since your screen name is Roughwear...would this jacket be a Rough Wear ?

RWs had collar stands and different shaped pockets. This one would appear to be a no name 27753 contract made in all probability by Cable Raincoat. There are examples for comparison on John Chapman's CD.

Peter Graham

The button holes appear to be very well done. Perhaps the person it was issued to was harking back to the days of the A-1.. In reality, one wrecked A-2.

Falcon_52

It seems that with all the effort to put button holes in the wind flap and fit the opposing buttons, the owner could have just taken it to a competent tailor and had a new zipper fitted. Things that make you go hmmmmm :?

Noel

asiamiles

There were A-2's with buttons. I once saw one in Flip (which I've regretted for the last 30 years not buying at the time!) and you can see them in the film THE PURPLE HEART. But the seller claims this jacket has had its zip removed, so I guess it isn't one of them.

zoomer

This could have been a wartime mod. You couldn't always get zippers, or the right length zippers, but you could always sew buttonholes. You wouldn't want to put a strip over it - that would be trying too hard to get it to Look Right and it never would.

Also,

Measures roughly 25" inches pit to pit so I assume this garment was a marked size 50 as all authentic wartime issued A-2 jackets measure exactly as marked.
Wrooongggg. Most have 2" added to the tag size.