• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L2B sacrilege???

Phantomfixer

OK your thoughts...
I found an old trashed L2B Alpha civilian copy up in my attic, from at least 20 years ago. It was washed, the jacket shrunk, of course, so I tossed it in a parachute bag and forgot about it....
Jacket number two...an original L2B with epaulattes, zipper tab, O2 mask tab....the jacket was in a barn with no roof for 15 plus years..anything wool or cotton is gone, the gray nylon heavily stained...

My plan...remove the good stuff from the old L2B, ie O2 tab, Zip tab, and sew them on the repop L2B
and put in a new liner...not ever to be passed or sold as an original as the repop still has the civvie tag....Thought it would be a good way to preserve what is left of an original jacket and bring back to life an old repop...
BTW the original must be a small and no way (economically) to restore it....
the repop is a Lg...

watchmanjimg

I have no issue with you trying to make the best out of this situation, but I'm unsure how the finished product will turn out. Many civilian Alpha L-2Bs have epaulets but no waist tab, and aluminum zippers. What is yours like?

Phantomfixer

The Alpha repop has epaulettes, but not box stitched so they will get boxed stitched. The old original had boxed stitched epauletts. The repop does have the aluminum zip....the color on the zip tab is off, that won't be a match, I think I can live with it..might even try one of those iron on decals that are on Ebay...some folks seem to have some luck with them...

I would like to have Alpha put the liner in......they used to do work like that....
John

watchmanjimg

jzist said:
I would like to have Alpha put the liner in......they used to do work like that....

That's worth looking into. I'm not thrilled with the product Alpha has been turning out lately, but their customer service has always been great in my experience.

Phantomfixer

I have not handled any of their current stuff, but this is an old Repop, back when they still made them in TN...I think...it has to be at least twenty years maybe 25 years old..

Tim P

My opinion is that the contrast in shade makes the addition of the waist tab less of a good idea. Other components maybe.

watchmanjimg

How does the size Large repro Alpha fit you? If you're happy with it aside from the missing liner I could donate the lining from one of the scrap jackets I have lying around. If you or someone you know can sew this would be an option for restoring the jacket to a wearable state without spending more than it's worth.