• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

knits...

cmk-2

Hi everyone:
I'm new to this forum but a 30 year A-2 jacket nut. Currently on I the following repros. ELC Monarch, Buzz Rickson Aero with the rub off finish, and a Real Mccoy's Dubow. I have had in the past.. Many ELC's a number of AERO (scotland) and a Goodwear Aero (both sold on ebay)
I am now in talks with JC to produce a RW "Steve Mcqueen" but I would like to get some thoughts on the Knits. I LOVE the Goodwear HH but I have problems with his knit as far a thickness and texture. I realize that RM's amd BR's knitts are too thick with ELC's being the best IMO. Is this just me are do others feel the same way as I do? While I have owned and handled many originals maybe I have missed something. Do you believe that JC's are within reason in respect to originals? Thanks for any insight, Robin

Hawkeye

When I owed a GW 42-18246-P jacket i thought that the arm knits seemed a bit on the thin side, but I think that simply because my previous a-2 was an '88 Saddlery jacket which had extremely thick (but durable) knits. I never had any problem with the waist knit. I have no idea how they compared to the original thing, but knowing JC its probably pretty damn close.

jacketimp

cmk-2 said:
Hi everyone:
I'm new to this forum but a 30 year A-2 jacket nut.

waht's in a name......i'm a jkt head.....welcome to the forum
Do you believe that JC's are within reason in respect to originals?

haven't you read the accolades that's awarded to GW in this forum......
Thanks for any insight, Robin

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum, Robin. I buy ELC knits when replacing the knits on original A2s and Gary's latest batch are very very close to original knits. Of course there was variation in original A2 knits from maker to maker. You can buy wristlets from ELC for £15 plus postage. There is a seller on Ebay who operates out of Greece and his knit sets are very good and will cost you around £18-24. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A-2-jacket-knit-c ... 0296112180

jacketimp

Roughwear said:
Welcome to the forum, Robin. I buy ELC knits when replacing the knits on original A2s and Gary's latest batch are very very close to original knits. Of course there was variation in original A2 knits from maker to maker. You can buy wristlets from ELC for £15 plus postage. There is a seller on Ebay who operates out of Greece and his knit sets are very good and will cost you around £18-24. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A-2-jacket-knit-c ... 0296112180

ebay seller is also a forum member.........

Roughwear

jacketimp said:
Roughwear said:

ebay seller is also a forum member.........

Yes, he is and he sells a quality product too. I was very pleased with the knit set I bought from him a few weeks ago.

greyhound52

Andrew,
Good info on the knits thanks.

On the question of GW knits...his newer ones are much better than the older ones. The knits on my GW Aero 16160 are really close to the ones on my original A2s.