• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

June 6th 1944

B-Man2

On the morning of June 6th 1944 my dad landed in France and became a veteran of D-Day . When he passed away in 2004 I promised myself that I would take his burial flag to France and in honor of his service have his flag flown at the Normandy American Cemetery. The Flag pole used was the same one pictured in Saving Private Ryan. His flag was flown for 3 minutes while they played taps. Everyone in the cemetery stood in place while taps was played. I completely lost it and couldn’t keep my emotions in control. They then brought the flag down and gave it back to me . It was an event that I will always remember .

IMG_0884.jpeg

IMG_0886.jpeg

Hazayad

Wow, @B-Man2

I know how important this must have been for you and indeed is for so many.
At the time I jumped with two photos of veterans, family members of friends of mine, in the breast pocket of my smock - to make that connection, that physical connection between us now and here and the ones who made it possible.

03603235-9f78-4839-b363-de813c429813.jpg

Dusty in here...

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

On the morning of June 6th 1944 my dad landed in France and became a veteran of D-Day . When he passed away in 2004 I promised myself that I would take his burial flag to France and in honor of his service have his flag flown at the Normandy American Cemetery. The Flag pole used was the same one pictured in Saving Private Ryan. His flag was flown for 3 minutes while they played taps. Everyone in the cemetery stood in place while taps was played. I completely lost it and couldn’t keep my emotions in control. They then brought the flag down and gave it back to me . It was an event that I will always remember .

View attachment 111459
View attachment 111463
Wow Burt. That is a moving story. It must be something really special to have a father who took part in D-Day operations. My thanks for your dad's service.

Chandler

I remember seeing still, frame-by-frame, images of this film clip as a teenager.

The realization that I was actually watching someone die didn't strike me at first, but started to build in my comprehension; suddenly the difference between reality and Hollywood was very immense.

Thomas Koehle

View attachment 111459
View attachment 111463
That's a very moving and intimate message you share with us.

Thank you for that!

And "Thank you" to all the other veterans that helped to liberate Europe - Germany included - from the Nazis

B-Man2

@B-Man2 -- what was your dad's unit Burt?
My dad was originally in the 507th Parachute Infantry Reg. however he was injured during a practice jump and taken off jump status . While he was no longer considered medically fit for the airborne he was still considered fit enough for combat and was sent to the 22nd infantry Regiment, 4th ID. The initial landing on Utah beach was made by the 12th Inf Reg of the 4th Division supported later that morning by the 22nd Inf Reg of the 4th Div. I never knew any of this until the last months of his life when he was dying in a veterans hospital. He told me that the worst days of his life were after the landing when he learned how many of his friends in the 507th were killed on D-Day . I still have his original jump wings and his original 507th Patch along with his 4th ID patches . He was shot thru the throat with a wooden bullet by sniper from a hedgerow on a July 30, and received a Purple Heart .
Sorry for that long winded answer.