• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jimmy Stewart's RW1401 A-2 video

Silver Surfer

He was issued a size 40 rw……which kinda fit his basic shape, except that a size 40 rw was for a guy 135-145 lbs, and about 5’11” max. Stewart was 6’1” or a bit taller. Look at original ww2 pix of Stewart wearing his rw, and that should put an end t “how an a-2 should fit”. Big deal Hollywood star gets what the quartermaster gives……..and true to his character, doesn’t beef.

mulceber

He was issued a size 40 rw……which kinda fit his basic shape, except that a size 40 rw was for a guy 135-145 lbs, and about 5’11” max. Stewart was 6’1” or a bit taller. Look at original ww2 pix of Stewart wearing his rw, and that should put an end t “how an a-2 should fit”. Big deal Hollywood star gets what the quartermaster gives……..and true to his character, doesn’t beef.
Every time I see him in that jacket, I find myself thinking "he was making short films promoting the AAF, and they couldn't get him a jacket that fit properly?!?" Not that I suppose it made much difference in the end.

warguy

A remarkable leader, absolutely everything I read about him reveals a man who understood the importance of leading through example, inspiration, and influence. I have never read anything suggesting he wanted or accepted any kind of special treatment. I always liked him as an actor, but after reading about his war service, I admire him even more as a man.

ZuZu

Every time I see him in that jacket, I find myself thinking "he was making short films promoting the AAF, and they couldn't get him a jacket that fit properly?!?" Not that I suppose it made much difference in the end.

I kind of disagree with the whole "his jacket didn't fit him" idea. Like you say- he was a big Hollywood star and I certainly don't think the old "quartermaster threw it at him" trope applies here. ( I think the USAAF wanted to have their men wear clothing that fit so I really wonder about these inept quartermaste legends.) I think Jimmy liked the jacket- and as my father (who was 6'1" 140 lbs. and wore a 40 all his life) and me to a lesser extent discovered in our life- if you're skinny and have long arms you get used to short sleeves. Maybe he thought it was his lucky jacket or maybe he thought it fit just fine a la Hugo Boss emphasizing his tallness.

Clark Gable also had A-2s and at least one was probably made by his own tailor. It's very short and emphasizes that 40's gigantic pants with tiny jackets look. I think Jimmy Stewart was probably going for that too.

Jacket when new (seems to fit fine to me!)

image.png

Jacket in a movie- it obviously meant something to him. Fits great bodywise...

7523de098b4788d4bb44c82732e3928e.jpg

Pilot

First thanks for bringing this up… and I really like Jimmy Steward, what a great actor and personality!.
Secondly I still believe that war time A-2 sizing was more generous in dimensions than our todays repros are. I am 1.75m and 75kg and I need a GW , ELC, BK , BR , TRMCC’s 44” or 46”.
I sold a named WW2 38” A-2 Bronco with a pit to pit of 55cm.
( was also offered here some times ago ).
My other WW2 44” Bronco A-2 with a pit to pit of 62-64cm was too baggy on me… (also sold…).
I had a WW2 Cable A-2 in 40” which I could wear with a pit to pit of 56-58cm but was a bit snug.. so it also went…
My experience with WWII A-2 sizings vs GW or other makers repros .

Greg Gale

Epic indeed! I love the color.

On a sidenote, we like to assume around here that whatever the quartermaster gave you, you were stuck with it.

I’m reading ‘Ace in a Day’ by Wayne Blickenstaff - great book - and in one of the early chapters he mentions how they were told to go to the QM, get and get their stuff. It went something like this:

‘If you’re unsure about the size, the people working there will help, they’re experts at their jobs. And if it doesn’t fit, you can return and exchange it later. ‘

Can’t give you an accurate quote because it’s an audiobook and I don’t know where this part was.

Kermit3D

I kind of disagree with the whole "his jacket didn't fit him" idea. Like you say- he was a big Hollywood star and I certainly don't think the old "quartermaster threw it at him" trope applies here. ( I think the USAAF wanted to have their men wear clothing that fit so I really wonder about these inept quartermaste legends.) I think Jimmy liked the jacket- and as my father (who was 6'1" 140 lbs. and wore a 40 all his life) and me to a lesser extent discovered in our life- if you're skinny and have long arms you get used to short sleeves. Maybe he thought it was his lucky jacket or maybe he thought it fit just fine a la Hugo Boss emphasizing his tallness.

Clark Gable also had A-2s and at least one was probably made by his own tailor. It's very short and emphasizes that 40's gigantic pants with tiny jackets look. I think Jimmy Stewart was probably going for that too.

Jacket when new (seems to fit fine to me!)

View attachment 119183

Jacket in a movie- it obviously meant something to him. Fits great bodywise...

View attachment 119185

Interesting point of view.
I tend to agree. James Stewart probably chose to wear a size 40 and this jacket suits him well.

Look at the German pilots, they wear very small, tight-fitting cycling jackets, whose sleeves are often too short (for today's tastes). But it reinforces the "long legs" effect that was, I think, fashionable in the '40s.

Nickb123

I know we all are conscientious of making sure our $1000+ A-2s fit, but it’s liberating knowing that if we receive a jacket with sleeves an inch or so too short/long, we can feel a little more carefree about it if we wish, because we have cool guys like Stewart totally wearing them in such a way. I think it gives me some pause if I’m in the spot wondering whether to return a slightly short jacket or not.

Note: I will not be buying a Platon Dubow,that is just too short. But is it?

ZuZu

Epic indeed! I love the color.

On a sidenote, we like to assume around here that whatever the quartermaster gave you, you were stuck with it.

I’m reading ‘Ace in a Day’ by Wayne Blickenstaff - great book - and in one of the early chapters he mentions how they were told to go to the QM, get and get their stuff. It went something like this:

‘If you’re unsure about the size, the people working there will help, they’re experts at their jobs. And if it doesn’t fit, you can return and exchange it later. ‘

Can’t give you an accurate quote because it’s an audiobook and I don’t know where this part was.
Thanks for that- I really don't think that ill fitting jackets- especially flying clothing- would have been tolerated as much as our Legend of the Quartermaster would have it.

Last edited:

JonnyCrow

I know we all are conscientious of making sure our $1000+ A-2s fit, but it’s liberating knowing that if we receive a jacket with sleeves an inch or so too short/long, we can feel a little more carefree about it if we wish, because we have cool guys like Stewart totally wearing them in such a way. I think it gives me some pause if I’m in the spot wondering whether to return a slightly short jacket or not.

Note: I will not be buying a Platon Dubow,that is just too short. But is it?
Exactly Nick which is why I love the fit of the original Aero on me, being a size 40-42 chest and 32 waist though, I can get away with a lot