• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Japanese « Recycle » store finds

Sideslip

Am in Japan and went to the local second hand store near my mothers. What is always great in Japan is that people take pretty good care of things. This second hand store is big by Japanese standards with everything from surfboards (it is near the sea) to guitars to Pokémon cards (why I was there in the first place - with my kids I hasten to add!). In any event, there was an Avirex and Real McCoys hanging there. Not super cheap but cheap enough (the McCoys is about GBP640). Unfortunately, not my size. I may go up to Tokyo to have a look at the McCoys shop in Shibuya but would rather have one of John or Dave’s own works… (will see what happens as my brother in law says that bigger sizes are sometimes on sale… but still…)

Attachments

• 065AA239-BAC4-4171-A095-2C0F8059586F.jpeg
    065AA239-BAC4-4171-A095-2C0F8059586F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 114

B-Man2

Are military jackets in Japan as desirable and collectable as we are all being led to believe here in the US ? Seems like Eastman and a couple of other makers have “structured” their prices based on what many say is their target market … the Japanese market. Do you think that’s really the case based on what you're seeing ?

JonnyCrow

Are military jackets in Japan as desirable and collectable as we are all being led to believe here in the US ? Seems like Eastman and a couple of other makers have “structured” their prices based on what many say is their target market … the Japanese market. Do you think that’s really the case based on what you're seeing ?
Burt in years of collecting militaria and scouting for stuff I've only seen two jap fur collared flight jackets, both advertised as rare probably bumped up as zero pilot jackets, I did once buy a issued Seiko watch in the aluminium protective cover and leather band

ausreenactor

Am in Japan and went to the local second hand store near my mothers. What is always great in Japan is that people take pretty good care of things. This second hand store is big by Japanese standards with everything from surfboards (it is near the sea) to guitars to Pokémon cards (why I was there in the first place - with my kids I hasten to add!). In any event, there was an Avirex and Real McCoys hanging there. Not super cheap but cheap enough (the McCoys is about GBP640). Unfortunately, not my size. I may go up to Tokyo to have a look at the McCoys shop in Shibuya but would rather have one of John or Dave’s own works… (will see what happens as my brother in law says that bigger sizes are sometimes on sale… but still…)
Every item that I have scored through Yahoo Japan has arrived in pristine packaging d smelling as if it just popped out the dryer with a fragranced static sheet.

Sideslip

My kids wanted to visit the Pokémon Centre in Shibuya. I suggested to my wife that this would be the perfect time for me to pop into the Real McCoys which is 10mn walk away. She was happy with the idea initially but 45 mn later sent SOS messages that she was in Pokémon Hell :).

So in the meantime, RM is reasonably big covering their full range. The store is in the basement.
8860B569-13CE-48A7-A7E7-70767F9B87D2.jpeg

With no intention to buy, I tried a bunch of their A-2 (RW and own brand) and G-1 (7823(WP)). I am 6 foot with a 43 chest and could not get a 42 or 44 to quite fit. Their own brand is cut to fit Japanese physiognomy with typical size being 38-40. All A-2s are a nice horse with variations in the hide (some heavier than others but staff could not give me more info). Very thick and nice looking B-3 but too small for me. This A-1 fit with just a t-shirt - it was actually really comfortable with nice knits.

8E2EBE4F-54C7-480C-AEFA-3B6D1CF65F6C.jpeg

Loads of N-1’s, patched etc. Actually, those looked great but was not prepared to drop that cash. So about the price, this RM shop is a 5 mn walk from Omotesando and I note that the London shop is in Mayfair. These are Uber premium real estate locations so that strategy alone adds a serious chunk of change to any product pricing.

@B-Man2 there was a wide spread interest in the late 1980s when you would always see G-1s,A2s and CW jackets anywhere and everywhere. I used to go to a shop in Shinjuku which had rows and rows of repris but they were out of my price range as a high school student then. I see less of them now when I visit Japan but like us here on the forum, there is definitely a dedicated following. I’ve seen at least two B-3s and a couple in a painted A-2 and G-1 (they looked super cool) - I was going to chat with them but was going a different direction with family.

There is generally an interest in 40s-50s attire and a very strong focus on attention to detail. Something with a Made in England label carries a premium cachet for instance. Vintage anything as well. As the jackets are made in Japan, the cost will always be more than if made in a lower cost country.

Things are expensive in Japan but when I compare to the UK, food and other staples are cheaper if you plan your shopping. I think that RM and ELC are simply targeting a premium end of the market. There are some Japanese forum members who can no doubt opine better than I as I only come back every once in a while.

MaydayWei

@Sideslip Thanks for sharing! Would love to go visit that store some day.
But you're 100% correct; for that kind of money, GW is the way to go.
Ironically, despite RMC's reputation for attention to detail, they like to take some liberties. For example, they've put real mouton on a 71 contract label jacket (when the last real mouton jackets were made under 69 contracts).

Dany McDonald

Every item that I have scored through Yahoo Japan has arrived in pristine packaging d smelling as if it just popped out the dryer with a fragranced static sheet.

Same for me, except for one jacket that had a cigarette smell. But its always clean and ready to wear, used but very well kept.

From my experience, Japan is deeply into vintage or repro vintage clothing and very, very well made. There are a multitude of second hand store, niche stuff. And they have an eye for the good stuff too.

@Sideslip Have you visited one of the many 2nd Street store? They have a lot of Buzz, RMC, Few and denim of all makers...

Thanx

Dany