• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket Trial Run

2jakes

While I'm waiting for my GW leather jacket which hopefully will be
by end of the year but most likely next Jan. I decided to do a test
photo of this jacket. Any comments ,do's or don'ts , will help me to
better display my GW on the forum when it gets here.
This jacket ( RLP) I bought on eBay for under $200. Although not
quite accurate as the GWs , I like that this jacket has a 1 piece back
& no side entry pockets.
DSC_0492.jpg
DSC_0493.jpg
DSC_0507.jpg
DSC_0497.jpg
DSC_0499.jpg
DSC_0504.jpg

This last image is closer to actual brown & jacket is not as orange
as the other images. Hopefully when I get the GW..I'll have the
colors worked out !
Jake

CBI

Nice photos and the jacket is not half bad. If it were mine, I would replace the knits with some knits from MASH and re-dye the jacket a dark russet of seal. The light undercoat would start to show through a little and one would end up with a decent "private purchase" A-2.

Enjoy!!!

watchmanjimg

CBI said:
Nice photos and the jacket is not half bad. If it were mine, I would replace the knits with some knits from MASH and re-dye the jacket a dark russet of seal. The light undercoat would start to show through a little and one would end up with a decent "private purchase" A-2.

Enjoy!!!

I agree. With a bit of tweaking you could get a lot of use out of that jacket.

ButteMT61

CBI said:

Enjoy!!!

Cool idea. The jacket is made of what looks like nice hide.
So it's not GW. A,good jacket doesn't have to be < d u c k > ;)

2jakes

Thanks for the positive comments from all of you guys !
I must confess , a slight uneasiness , being that this is my first
attempts at posting myself with a jacket. You all give me confidence
& if Scott says it's cool…wow ! Thanks ! :)

unclegrumpy

I think the fit looks pretty good, though I think you could use another inch.....or maybe two, in the body length. The arms from the elbow down also look a bit narrower than most of the GW contracts. I think your pictures are going to be a big help when you start to compare what you look like, to the various GWs.

Question: Have you picked out a GW contract yet?

2jakes

unclegrumpy said:
I think the fit looks pretty good, though I think you could use another inch.....or maybe two, in the body length. The arms from the elbow down also look a bit narrower than most of the GW contracts. I think your pictures are going to be a big help when you start to compare what you look like, to the various GWs.

Question: Have you picked out a GW contract yet?

I agree with you on the body length & all things considered for
this jacket , as you know, not being special order yet for the price
& quality of leather…I think it's ok. But the GW jacket will be 100%
better.

As to the specific GW contract , I have been checking around. I mentioned to Andrew that I favored a high inset sleeves &
asked for his input & that being the Star Sportswear contract.
J.C. mentioned to consider the Rough Wear 42-1401-P.
In light russet Horsehide. Originally , I was going for the A-1
in capeskin by GW. But , it's between the Star or Roughwear for now.
I have time before I actually make the final decision.

unclegrumpy

All good choices!

Choosing a jacket can be a lot like dating, and half the fun is testing things out.....and one of the best things is you don't have to marry your first selection. :D

Many...probably most....of us are still in the "trial run" mode, even after many years and owning many jackets. :cool:

Jeff M

unclegrumpy said:
Choosing a jacket can be a lot like dating, and half the fun is testing things out.....and one of the best things is you don't have to marry your first selection. :D .......

Wish somebody had told me that before I married my first wife. :(

FlyingYankee

unclegrumpy said:
All good choices!

Choosing a jacket can be a lot like dating, and half the fun is testing things out.....and one of the best things is you don't have to marry your first selection. :D

Many...probably most....of us are still in the "trial run" mode, even after many years and owning many jackets. :cool:
Grandpa told me "Nothing good comes easy , never marry a women who will sleep with you right away"

ButteMT61

FlyingYankee said:
unclegrumpy said:
All good choices!

Grandpa told me "Nothing good comes easy , never marry a women who will sleep with you right away"

Damnit. I thought it was "never sleep with a girl that will marry you right away". I've got some catching up to do :lol: