• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

jac stink

Silver Surfer

i know this has been covered in the past, but i thought that it may be helpful to bring it up again. what do ya do to get moldy, old leather jacket stink out of your vintage oldies?

Skip

I use quarter a teaspoon of pure oil of cloves, mix it in a 1 litre spray bottle, shake vigorously, spray over the leather (just lightly) and wipe thoroughly working it into the leather until completely spread and almost dry. Leave a few days, It may need a few such treatments but usually depends how bad the mould is, it will kill any mould completely, and leave a clovey sort of fragrance afterwards. It's the only thing I know that kills mould without damaging the surface, or feeding the mould.

This mix also has other applications such as removing mould from furniture and even the bathroom tiles - although it may need to be a little stronger

John Lever

Vic try Kerpelling for a few days or place in a bag with some bicarbonate of soda to absorb the smell. I use large bags of cloves in muslin bags to repel moths. The Georgians used this tried and trusted method, it works and is safer in the house than chemicals.

Chandler

I had a 50s G-1 some years ago, and e-Bay purchase, that smelled to high hell of cigarettes. A friend had just started a cleaning business using an ozone method -- he ran his machine up and over, in and outside that jacket and in half-an-hour it was as if the cigarettes were never invented.

Skip

Chandler said:
I had a 50s G-1 some years ago, and e-Bay purchase, that smelled to high hell of cigarettes. A friend had just started a cleaning business using an ozone method -- he ran his machine up and over, in and outside that jacket and in half-an-hour it was as if the cigarettes were never invented.

You've picked my interest, what is this machine that produces ozone and leaves clothes smell-less? How does it do it? Forgive my ignorance but Ozone is some form of Oxygen yes?

GoodTimesGone

I know many air purifiers give off ozone. My Oreck air purifier does. Next time I have a stinky jacket I should try hanging it near the purifier. I've tried Febreze and the blend of smells makes the situation worse. My best results were hanging the jacket out in the sun and breeze or washing the leather jacket on cold gentle cycle.

Skip

Thanks Ian. What does the '(subscript)' represent? Sorry a little of topic..

Chandler

Skip said:
You've picked my interest, what is this machine that produces ozone and leaves clothes smell-less? How does it do it? Forgive my ignorance but Ozone is some form of Oxygen yes?

It's been few years since my friend was trying out this biz, but I think this is similar to what he had:
http://www.odorfreemachines.com/

Seems like he had 2 different units; one small, one large.

Silver Surfer

hey that ozone job looks to be the right way to go. not cheap, but, possibly staining a vintage jac with washing, or imparting yet another smell, organic or not, always is a roll of the dice. also, this may very well be a solution for wet dog bed smell, and coffee, cigars and whiskey stink in my studio. wonder if it works on the smell of cheap perfume.....but, thats another story.