• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

J. Chapman autograph in GW jackets.

EmergencyIan

I can't recall if it was mentioned in this forum (and I can't find it here, now), but the was made mention of it somewhere.

Anyway, the point is that I found an autograph in my jacket as well. Last Saturday, I felt something in the upper right sleeve liner of my Bronco A-2. So, I turned it inside-out and found a label "Made Genuine Horse Hide Front Quarter" with a vintage look. Next to it, is written Bronco A2, Goodwear Leather Coat Co., Seattle WA, Produced: the date and it's signed John Chapman.

I thought that was really neat. The other thing that came to mind is that this may be a safeguard, on his part, so that after a jacket is "broken-in" it won't be as easy to pass it off as an original. It's just a thought as I didn't ask John. I'm sure a reason why he does this is a way of marking a piece of his artwork.

- Ian

Roughwear

My Dubow which he made in March has the Front quarter HH label inside the left pocket and John signed the lining at my request. However my 2010 RW has no such identification.

EmergencyIan

Roughwear said:
My Dubow which he made in March has the Front quarter HH label inside the left pocket and John signed the lining at my request. However my 2010 RW has no such identification.

That's interesting.

Do original Dubow's and Bronco's have any such Front Quarter Horse Hide label/tags attached somewhere inside the liner?

- Ian

derleicaman

I made the original posting about my signed Dubow Goat jacket a few months ago. I also noticed that John put the FQHH label in the left front pocket of my RW 27752, but no signature on it that I can see. I'll have to look in all my GW jackets to see what other "Easter Eggs" there might be!

SuinBruin

EmergencyIan said:
Roughwear said:

That's interesting.

Do original Dubow's and Bronco's have any such Front Quarter Horse Hide label/tags attached somewhere inside the liner?

- Ian
I've never heard of an original military issue A-2 having any sort of hide label or tag.

Jaguar46

I have heard from member bseal, that he requested JC put something in his jackets to differentiate from other jackets, and this is a recent thing.

RudyN

I bought my Perry Sportswear from John in March 0f 2009 and requested he autograph mine. I had seen a post regarding signing the jacket on this forum a bit before I ordered mine

RudyN

dmar836 said:
Rudy,
Have you posted pics of the Perry? I's love to see it!

Dave

No I haven't. Guess I will have to get busy and take a couple of pictures of it. However, I do have one picture of me in it and here it is.

IMG_1419.jpg

johnwayne

How interesting...........when I bought mine off John, (I think it must be 18mths ago) I did ask him to sign it but I think he'd already sent it on its merry way to dear old blighty and so upon arrival couldnt see said signature anywhere, well where I thought it might be!! So, tonight Im going turn it inside out and hopefully find a little Easter present.
I hadn't even considered the passing off as an original thing but then I couldn't do that anyway (my parents bought me up that way and as I such I cant bear dishonesty- is that virtue?) but I just like the idea of Johns personal touch - after all, he's an artist and that's what artists do.

cheers
Wayne

gyrobroyeur

EmergencyIan said:
gyrobroyeur said:
Nothing like this in mine... Soon, It could totaly pass for an original! :twisted:
:D

Mine was made in September of 2010. Is yours older?

- Ian

Yes it is. January 2009 I believe. It was still Horwen hide, not the japanese one.
Cheers.

handworn

They bought you up that way? Were you on sale? :lol:

johnwayne said:
How interesting...........when I bought mine off John, (I think it must be 18mths ago) I did ask him to sign it but I think he'd already sent it on its merry way to dear old blighty and so upon arrival couldnt see said signature anywhere, well where I thought it might be!! So, tonight Im going turn it inside out and hopefully find a little Easter present.
I hadn't even considered the passing off as an original thing but then I couldn't do that anyway (my parents bought me up that way and as I such I cant bear dishonesty- is that virtue?) but I just like the idea of Johns personal touch - after all, he's an artist and that's what artists do.

cheers
Wayne