• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this hobby trending dooooowwnn ?

dmar836

Were these AAC marked like those in that pic? I have seen so many civi versions advertised as AAC that I almost get tired of looking for them. Wondering if those got lost in the fray. Then again, Christmas time has always been the Black Friday of collecting.
I have two pair and the least expensive one was $100. The first pair cost me $150 about 18 yrs ago and were missing the leather on the earpieces.
Last I checked the (more common) AN-6531s were still going up in perceived value.
I like the D-1s better as they are significantly more rare and, to me, just as representative of early war operations as the later "aviators" that have become so popular.
JMO,
Dave

dmar836

Kinda missed your point. I have often feared that I'd be left with lots if things nobody wants. Baseball cards are but one of the things shed like Beanie Babies and My Little Ponies from the pop-collecting public. These are things that were created to be collected.
The difference in WWII, or any period, militaria is the historical value based in one time period that was not formulated as collectables. Civil War militaria is a model for us. There are fewer and fewer collecting but the collectors are becoming more refined and concentrated. The prices generally have stayed high. There may be stages where the prices drop but over a 20+ yr trend I think values will hold. The high end stuff will always be high end and will be the most sought after and most expensive.
Unfortunately, I cannot afford "high end".
Dave

Clark J

Yep Dave they were AAC and complete as the ones pictured.Point is you would never see a pr of these in great shape go for less than 150 4-5 yrs ago and a Flighter or a nice A-11 FH with receivers go for what they sell for now.Yes the top stuff will always bring he $$ but I just wonder if we are on the down hill side of this era because the collector base is getting older?

Phantomfixer

Christmas on ebay is great time for buyers and lousy time for sellers....you can find some good deals around this time.....

a2jacketpatches

September, October, November, January, February March, April, and fading out the end of May for selling collectibles. Summer months are for finding the stuff at Flea Markets etc. and historically, I've done OK selling anyway but not as good as the Fall and Winter months I mentioned. Patches sold like hot cakes during the December rush, I think lots of guys picking out their own Christmas presents.

I don't think the hobby will ever trend down, has always seemed pretty steady to me as I buy and sell any and all types of military collectibles regularly and have been doing so since around 2000. Every once in a while something goes for way less than expected and Christmas was probably a factor in that. I listed nothing in the Antique department over the holiday but did hustle like crazy with the patches.

Steve H

I bought a USAC pair for $150. Complete with the original ear covering. I didn't think about the price- I needed them1