• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this guy right (Osprey AAF book)

OperationCoffee

So, what exactly was/is "alpaca" ? This author has a different idea. See below
1111.jpeg
2222.jpeg

Micawber

Looks like he's talking about the advent of the B-series jackets... B-10 and B-15 from 1943
These are much lighter jackets than shearlings.

Yep, the key words being 'replacement material' and then going on to describe a cotton shell etc but it is not that clearly written. An Alpaca is indeed a Llama like animal whose fleece derived wool etc is used in a variety of forms and garments.

917_k

Yeah, obviously referring to the inner face of B-10, B-11 & B-15 flight jackets (and some other garments). I never realised it was imitation fur though. I was going to question the colour being grey, but looking at one of my own jackets I can see that it sort of is grey.

94741DE2-2E6B-4EBC-A609-6CA3ECBA40C6.jpeg

MikeyB-17

AFAIK the AAF used genuine Alpaca wool. Rayon is the proprietary name (owned by Dupont I believe), of a man-made fibre, as is Nylon. I believe the AAF used alpaca wool, woven to make the furry stuff we all recognise. I don’t believe Rayon was a component in the fur linings of B-10’s etc. Navy intermediate jacket linings, yes. I think Rayon is a poor choice of word there.