• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this G1 goat or cow?

5125203F-49CD-4F81-992B-07534D5FCE73.png

My go-to guy says cow, but damn do I want it to be goat and it does somewhat look it to these pretty untrained eyes. What sayest thou?

Do you guys know if Star ever produced a goat with Dynal collar? Because I’ve been after one in that exact configuration. If you know for a fact they did not, I’ll pick this one up since a non-fading collar is more important to me than the hide type. Thanks!

johnwayne

Excuse the pun but I’m going against the grain, goat for me, looks too pebbly for cowhide plus I thought all G1 contracts spec goat? What do I know!!

johnwayne

Hmm looking at it again I’m thinking you're right! Said I didn't know!! Makes you question why they bothered ‘graining’ the hide and masquerading it as something else when surely it wasn’t really necessary?

Skyhawk

In the late 60's / early 70's they started using the embossed grain cowhide in addition to Goat. Some aircrew I knew actually got to choose between the Cow or Goat. Mfg's still make both up to today as far as I know. The embossed grain is for uniformity. The military is always wanting everyone to look the same. It looks too weird to have a G-1 with a smooth hide without the grain.

An interesting note is that the specs for the modern G-1 which was released in 1971, lists the hide as Goat or Kid skin. No mention of cow.
1665500072877.png

Last edited:

mulceber

Do you guys know if Star ever produced a goat with Dynal collar? Because I’ve been after one in that exact configuration. If you know for a fact they did not, I’ll pick this one up since a non-fading collar is more important to me than the hide type. Thanks!
Oh Dynal definitely fades. Long-term exposure to sunlight turns it from black to an ugly, dusty-looking charcoal gray.

You’re better off with a fur collar that will fade to a warmer shade of brown over the years.

Oh Dynal definitely fades. Long-term exposure to sunlight turns it from black to an ugly, dusty-looking charcoal gray.

You’re better off with a fur collar that will fade to a warmer shade of brown over the years.
Ok, nevertheless, do you know if there was ever a goat + Dynal Star? Also, I’m correct in assuming that one there is Dynal, right? Thanks.

Last edited:

Skyhawk

That is synthetic for sure. Star could have made goat ones as well. They had other earlier goat contracts. Some Mfg's did both. I am not 100% sure though with Star. I would say it's a good chance that they did make some goat ones as well in the later contracts.

I’m pretty sure they did goat as their contracts go back a ways, I think. Basically it’s like this: my platonic ideal is a 38R Star in goat with Dynal. I can explain the reasons but it doesn’t really matter. Point is it’s the goal. I’m trying to figure out if such a thing ever existed, otherwise I would just get the one you see above. Cow pressed to look like goat would be good enough for my reenactments if that’s all I can get given the other parameters, but I’d love real goat.

B-Man2

Then if that’s what you really want, I’d suggest you have exactly what your looking for custom made . There are a number of people here who would make you a fabulous jacket that you’d be very happy with and would meet all of your concerns .
Best of luck with your search .

Then if that’s what you really want, I’d suggest you have exactly what your looking for custom made . There are a number of people here who would make you a fabulous jacket that you’d be very happy with and would meet all of your concerns .
Best of luck with your search .
My biggest concern would be fit and price. The reason I'm chasing these Stars is they happen to be the ones I encounter most often in vintage stores and the 38R is one of the best-fitting jackets I've ever worn. I've tried 36s, I've tried 40s, and I've tried other manufacturers, none of them are like the Star 38s. I don't know that a custom maker could get the same fit and heft, and if the fit is wrong, I'm basically screwed.

Re: price, I assume other than 5 Star I'd be looking at quite the hefty sum. 5 Star... I've seen their site and the G1s/M422as don't look very high quality to me, but perhaps I'm off.

B-Man2

Ok I understand your concerns, but if you are considering purchasing a previously owned jacket, then you are going to have to accept that it’s not going to be perfect . It’s not going to meet each and every requirement that you’re looking to fulfill . You might have to accept something less than your “special jacket “ . So buy this jacket that you’re looking at now and wear it until another one comes by that meets more of your requirements and then sell this one and buy that one . This is what most of us do, but as it stands now you’re getting yourself hung up on minutia. For example it takes most of us 4 or 5 purchases of different jackets until we find that one jacket that fits us just the way we want it to and has the collar that we are looking for and meets most of our requirements . For some of us that took a few years. So if you’re looking for advice I would say buy this one and wear it until the next nicer one comes along and then upgrade .

Last edited:
Ok I understand your concerns, but if you are considering purchasing a previously owned jacket, then you are going to have to accept that it’s not going to be perfect . It’s not going to meet each and every requirement that you’re looking to fulfill . You might have to accept something less than your “special jacket “ . So buy this jacket that you’re looking at now and wear it until another one comes by that meets more of your requirements and then sell this one and buy that one . This is what most of us do, but as it stands now you’re getting yourself hung up on minutia. For example it takes most of us 4 or 5 purchases of different jackets until we find that one jacket that fits us just the way we want it to and has the collar that we are looking for and meets most of our requirements . For some of us that took a few years. So if you’re looking for advice I would say buy this one and wear it until the next nicer one comes along and then upgrade .
I can definitely get behind this. I'm in the vintage game, so to speak, and I agree- I've certainly come to view this pursuit as a constant improvement. You basically keep moving and improving, to where your collection now blows away what you had five years ago. I guess I'm just so backlogged on vintage and militaria I need to move, the thought of yet another ~$200 purchase to add to the pile... ugh. But I do agree in principle.