• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin vs B-3 head to head

Peter Graham

Thanks to the public spiritedness of Paddy Middleton I now have a decent example of both the classic WW2 heavyweights, the Irvin and the B-3 so I thought it would be fun to do a comparison test.
Both jackets are good sized 38's, the B-3 being a 38 regular by the HLB Corp N.Y. made in 1942 and the Irvin is a size 4 which equates to pretty much the same thing and was made by Links in 1943 or 44. Both jackets weigh in at 5lb on my bathroom scales and the condition of both is just how I like them, sound, but with a fair bit of wear. I wouldn't be worried about wearing either although I try not to wear the B-3 much, given it's history.
The average length of the fleece on the B-3 is 1.5cm and on the Irvin 1.2cm although the Irvin fleece is much denser so would probably have better thermal protection in extreme temperatures. Both jackets are generously cut with the classic baggy sleeves but the B-3 definitely has more room in the body and is about 6cm longer. The B-3 has a much larger collar which sits flat on the shoulders. The Irvin has a smaller collar which sits up more due to the heavy cowhide backing. I have not used the two buckles on the B-3 collar, nor the single strap on the Irvin so I can't comment on how effective they are at keeping wind out but I'd tend to think that the B-3 would work better. In my opinion the belt on the Irvin is a much better design than the B-3's straps as it easily allows adjustment depending on the layering. I do like the single pocket on the B-3 and the goatskin facing on the sleeves but style-wise it's down to personal preference. Both jackets have their good and bad points but it's a close run thing. I love them both but pushed I'd have to plump for the Irvin, by a whisker. Saying that, if the B-3 happened to be a redskin I might go the other way.
As I've said both jackets are in sound wearable condition. Irvin's have a reputation for being more durable than B-3's and the three that I've owned have all been very sound. This Irvin has a more solid feel than the B-3, but again, just by a whisker. They are both keepers ! Cheers chaps.

1942 HLB Corp B-3

stuff002-1.jpg

1943/44 Links Irvin

stuff003-1.jpg

Collar comparison. I prefer the smaller collar on the Irvin. The difference in the density and colour of the fleece is obvious here.

stuff004-1.jpg

The difference in length.

stuff001-1.jpg

Fit comparison. The Irvin comes to belt level on me and the B-3 a bit below. It's not really noticeable in the photos but it makes a big difference in the way the jackets feel when being worn. I think I prefer the length of the B-3 but I'm not sure. :?

stuff010.jpg

stuff011.jpg

stuff012.jpg

stuff013.jpg

oose

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the time and effort to put together this review, I have not owned ether but have been tempted by both over the years. I think the Irvin looks splendid on you, you definitely made the right choice in jumping on Paddy offer.

All the best
stu

Marv

oose said:
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the time and effort to put together this review, I have not owned ether but have been tempted by both over the years. I think the Irvin looks splendid on you, you definitely made the right choice in jumping on Paddy offer.

All the best
stu

I have to agree great review, both great looking jackets but I do prefer the Irvin myself and never really succumbed to the B3 thing.

deand

The Irvin looks better from the collar/shoulder area. Through the middle, the profile is just better, probably because it is is shorter and the sectioning and leather tones of are more visually engaging. The wool shade is better, too. Overall, the Irvin wins to my eyes. The B-3 looks a bit blah. But both are warm, I'm sure of that!

dean

ButteMT61

Well done Peter, but I fear the true test - spending a month in Antarctica - is lacking. I'd like to start a Paypal fund here to send you there to see which one really is best :lol:

SuinBruin

Great comparison, thanks Peter. I sometimes wish it got cold enough in northern California to justify owning a fleece jacket. :?

Phantomfixer

Peter
Cool idea. In this case the Irvin wins in looks and fit hands down...stunning examples. Would the same be true if the B3 was a redskin?
Anyone catch the new episode of American Pickers on the History Channel. Picked an Irvin for 250.00. It appeared to have a hood, field modified?

John

Jason

What a good comparison, thanks Peter. You know, if the B-3 had a little less seal and a bit more russet in it, it'd be very hard to pick a winner and would have to come down to flipping a coin. They both look splendid!

Roughwear

It's interesting to see these comparisons. There were several Irvin designs and just like there were B-3 variants as well. I'm wondering if anyone would modify their views if a two panel pre-War Irvin was compared with a pre-War redskin B-3 for example or was compared with a wired Irvin or a Coastal Command jacket with a yellow hood.

001.jpg

059.jpg

ciddu

jzist said:
Peter

Anyone catch the new episode of American Pickers on the History Channel. Picked an Irvin for 250.00. It appeared to have a hood, field modified?

John

If it was a bright yellow hood, it's supposed to be a Coastal Command Irvin.

Peter Graham

ButteMT61 said:
Well done Peter, but I fear the true test - spending a month in Antarctica - is lacking. I'd like to start a Paypal fund here to send you there to see which one really is best :lol:
Yes please. I'm on for that. Do they sell Calvados there ?

deand

The variations would certainly affect a comparison of the categories of a B-3 vs. an Irvin.

dean

Peter Graham

deand said:
The variations would certainly affect a comparison of the categories of a B-3 vs. an Irvin.
I did mean to say in the original post that the comparison was between the two jackets that I own because the differences between various contracts of both jacket types are significant.

ButteMT61

Peter Graham said:
ButteMT61 said:
Yes please. I'm on for that. Do they sell Calvados there ?

I believe it's BYOC :lol:
Sounds good BTW!

Phantomfixer

ciddu said:
jzist said:
Peter

John

If it was a bright yellow hood, it's supposed to be a Coastal Command Irvin.
If it was yellow it was faded. They didn't pan in too close., but what a find. Was the hood a mod or factory for the coastal command? I am not much of a hood guy, I like the collar flipped up.

ciddu

The CC Irvin hood is something like this:

ccirvin.jpg

I think it was a standard feature - mil. spec.- and not an aftermarket mod.
Maybe to make a downed pilot's head more visible in the water... I'm not really sure if this is an actual fact or just a guess I happened to read, but it sounds quite likely.

Roughwear

Coastal Command Irvins were made with the yellow hood, which was added for protection, but also for visibility. They are my least favourite Irvin variant.

Dr H

Roughwear said:
Coastal Command Irvins were made with the yellow hood, which was added for protection, but also for visibility. They are my least favourite Irvin variant.

+1 Not so keen on these...:roll: