• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin Flying jacket

jamie fowler

Hi Folks, I’m after a bit of help, I’ve had an Irvin flying jacket for about 12 years and I’ve been trying to find out how old it is. It’s not WW2 age or anything near that and I’ve spoke to Irvin and they don’t keep records so they weren’t much help. The wear looks even through on the jacket so I don’t think it's fake and I've spoke to other people of forums and they think it could be late 70's earlt 80's.... Any help will be appreciated..

[/img][/img]

jamie fowler

Hi Folks, I’m after a bit of help, I’ve had an Irvin flying jacket for about 12 years and I’ve been trying to find out how old it is. It’s not WW2 age or anything near that and I’ve spoke to Irvin and they don’t keep records so they weren’t much help. The wear looks even through on the jacket so I don’t think it's fake and I've spoke to other people of forums and they think it could be late 70's earlt 80's.... Any help will be appreciated.

Please check out my pictures @ 9411jamie - Google+

jamie fowler

Hi Andrew

Thank you, I was given this as a present from a freind and I've been trying to find out some info on it. Is it a genuin Irvin or is it a different company making the same style jackets..??

Roughwear

No it is not the original Wartime maker, Jamie. In the 1970s Simon Green of Aviation Leather Craft bought the Irvin Air Chute trade mark, along with some of the sewing machines they used at their Letchworth factory during the War. His early jackets were fairly close to original Irvins, but later versions normally had pockets and were made from a very thick fleece.

jamie fowler

Hi Andrew

Interesting and I guess it's still Aviation leather making the modern Irvin Flying jackets today?
If Simon Green started Aviation leather in 1977 would that make my jacket one of the early Aviation leather jackets...

Roughwear

Yes ALC still makes their version of the Irvin today. However there are others who make a more faithful Irvin jacket today, in particular, Aces High and Eastman Leather Clothing. They don't use the Irvin name as ALC hold the TM.

If you want to compare your jacket with the original Irvins there are several threads in the Vintage section.

flyboy

I have posted these before - but here are a couple of pics of my late fathers ALC Irvin from 1977.
I bought two Irvins direct from Simon Green back then. One for me and one for my father. His lasted the longest. I sold mine way back. Just to buy another one from a different maker. And another one from another maker. And another....but now I've got the right one. But that's a different story...
Just to compare, Jamie. (And welcome to the club)

jamie fowler

Hi Flyboy

Yes the one I have is just the same but with map pockets. I was give mine as a gift and I've always wanted to try and find out more info on it but wasn't having much look and it's Still a great jacket after 35+ years of use