• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin and smock in the family

JDAM

Just spent a Sunday afternoon flicking through the old family album and unearthed these photos. My grandfather and one of his pals on leave, early 1944. An Irvin and a windproof smock to boot! Clearly it's in the genes : ) Look at the size of that rifle, I've never seen anything like it.

FullSizeRender_zpswngfeixc.jpg
FullSizeRender-2_zpsuiko20pg.jpg

Roughwear

Great pictures. I like the posed action shot. The sheepskin jacket is interesting, resembling a D-1 rather than an Irvin as it seems to lack the half belt and sleeve zips.

Bombing IP

Never did a gun safety course ? look where that double barrel is pointed Dick Cheney style !
BIP :lol:

JDAM

Roughwear said:
Great pictures. I like the posed action shot. The sheepskin jacket is interesting, resembling a D-1 rather than an Irvin as it seems to lack the half belt and sleeve zips.

You could well be right. I hadn't looked closely. Probably liberated it from a yank who'd shot himself. :lol:

JDAM

Bombing IP said:
Never did a gun safety course ? look where that double barrel is pointed Dick Cheney style !
BIP :lol:

Nah, they probably never got around to it in 3 Commando.

JDAM

2BM2K said:
The long "rifle" could be a punt gun.

Interesting. Just read up on 'punt guns' and they sound quite handy. So effective that they were outlawed in the UK.

Bombing IP

JDAM said:
2BM2K said:

Interesting. Just read up on 'punt guns' and they sound quite handy. So effective that they were outlawed in the UK.

What gun has not been outlawed in the UK I ask .Or every gun is outlawed in the UK .

JDAM

Bombing IP said:
JDAM said:
2BM2K said:

What gun has not been outlawed in the UK I ask .Or every gun is outlawed in the UK .

That's a fallacy. But if you're interested, there are plenty of online resources that'll provide you an overview of UK law and gun ownership. With regards the 'punt gun', the UK seems to have followed the US lead - seems the use/practice was outlawed back in the 1860s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt_gun

Remarkably progressive.

Not sure what you mean by the photos being deleted. I can see them fine.

Bombing IP

JDAM said:
Just spent a Sunday afternoon flicking through the old family album and unearthed these photos. My grandfather and one of his pals on leave, early 1944. An Irvin and a windproof smock to boot! Clearly it's in the genes : ) Look at the size of that rifle, I've never seen anything like it.

FullSizeRender_zpswngfeixc.jpg
FullSizeRender-2_zpsuiko20pg.jpg

This is what I see at my end

The gun thing too long winded do not want to get into it thanks (just a comment) , I am an English ex pat living in NYC

Bombing IP

Ludwig Wittgenstein = Me I guess with regard to being misunderstood .
Guilty as charged , the reason I left the forum many years ago .

BIP

Roughwear

Bombing IP said:

BIP

So who were you then? Perhaps you could formally introduce yourself?

JDAM

Roughwear said:
Bombing IP said:

BIP

So who were you then? Perhaps you could formally introduce yourself?

English ex-pats in NYC. That narrows the field to about a million.

btw, now I can't see my images... err, god knows what the problem is.