• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ironing G1, to do or not to do?

Erwin

Hi folks,

A quick question is it possible to iron the leather [G1 jacket stored for 50+ years in the wardrobe, the jacket was covered by other heavy stuff that created significant wrinkles, looks like heavy wrinkles]? I know that leather can be ironed but does it fix the heavy wrinkled leather? Has anyone from you used ironing to fix heavy wrinkles on G1?

Thanks for your help!

Southoftheborder

I don't think I would try it but I have heard people have tried it. I would get it good and wet and leave it flat on a towel and pull as many wrinkles out as you can to flatten it. Then when it's not saturated but still a bit wet put it on a hanger to finish drying which should get a lot of wrinkles out. You can combine that with a wash because it probably needs one. After that a good conditioning is needed.

Silver Surfer

YIKES! don't do it. if ya must, wet the jacket and lay some rags on it, and old throw away books on top, or other items of some weight. while not perfect, it will get some of the heavy creases out. the rest will come out with constant wearing in all kinds of weather. patience, grasshopper.

Southoftheborder

Have you bought a G1 from german ebay?
You see them and other US leather jackets on UK eBay in a very wrinkled and creased condition as well. Dealers buy them from US thrift stores in big bundles and after sorting sell them on eBay and other sites as vintage. But by the time they get sold they've just been lying anyhow under a lot of other jackets in big boxes for a long time.

Some of them are so bad I don't think the wrinkles will ever come out and you would look very odd wearing them as they are.

JonnyCrow

Yikes sounds like a kilo clothes deal item, all screwed up in bales, I haven't seen many G1 like that but I have, 10 jackets in a job lot deal, good advice from the guys as always

Erwin

It is related to a recent find, not from German or UK eBay. I got this information about this jacket from my US-based friends. Waiting for pictures, but I think it might be worth it. Ex owner was a USMC aviator during the NAM conflict [the jacket has still all USMC patches].

I appreciate that you are able to share your tips and advice regarding how to handle wrinkled leather. Thanks!

JonnyCrow

It is related to a recent find, not from German or UK eBay. I got this information about this jacket from my US-based friends. Waiting for pictures, but I think it might be worth it. Ex owner was a USMC aviator during the NAM conflict [the jacket has still all USMC patches].

I appreciate that you are able to share your tips and advice regarding how to handle wrinkled leather. Thanks!
Sounds worth putting the work in, UK guys though avoid a seller called anouskavintage she used to be good selling cheap, reasonable priced vintage jackets, now her prices are unreal for jackets falling apart and red rot, she has a m422 for 230£ that's looks like the fleas are holding it together and everything needs replacing and many jackets, so wrinkled they look like screwed up balls of paper

Skyhawk

Yes you can iron leather. All kinds of jacket manufacturers do it if needed.

Always start with a low setting. Cover the part you are ironing with thick paper, like a brown grocery bag cut in half. Make sure there is no glue or ink on the paper. Increase the heat slowly if needed. Be super careful. If you overdo it you can get shiny spots and smoothed out grain. Generally these effects will wear off but over heating should be avoided. Have patience. It's better to take it slow than overdo it. You can always do it again later so don't roast the leather with too high of heat.

Enigma1938

You see them and other US leather jackets on UK eBay in a very wrinkled and creased condition as well. Dealers buy them from US thrift stores in big bundles and after sorting sell them on eBay and other sites as vintage. But by the time they get sold they've just been lying anyhow under a lot of other jackets in big boxes for a long time.

Some of them are so bad I don't think the wrinkles will ever come out and you would look very odd wearing them as they are.
Exactly it's better to avoid buying from this sources, most of those jackets will never be wearable again even they look ok on the small / bad seller pictures.

A2 B3au

Avoid unless you really know what you are doing or are prepared to experiment accepting the risk.
I’m ashamed to admit I caused a 6 inch scar on my jacket… And that was done thru the lining…. It’s not a nice feeling so be carefull… Long story short, I got sprayed by a Tom cat so drastic action was necessary..(
C5C67B9B-140F-4281-8BE3-96B538A87A86.jpeg

JonnyCrow

Exactly it's better to avoid buying from this sources, most of those jackets will never be wearable again even they look ok on the small / bad seller pictures.
I see a Japanese seller selling some really good and some rare vintage leathers from a Japanese thrift store but they're so badly wrinkled they're probably the same, come from American bulk sellers bundle packed by tonnage, shame

JonnyCrow

I’m ashamed to admit I caused a 6 inch scar on my jacket… And that was done thru the lining…. It’s not a nice feeling so be carefull… Long story short, I got sprayed by a Tom cat so drastic action was necessary..(View attachment 98763
Ooof Tom spraying, years ago our Tom did my back pack, never used it again, no amount of exorcism and bleach would have cured that, stunk to high heaven