• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting coat

Grant

Yeah, it's known as the M-69 transport coat. It was worn by WWII Naval air crew and ship's officers. I've seen photos of officers wearing them on the bridge of ships and subs at sea in colder climates. They're incredibly warm and well made, but the trench coat look is tough to pull off. BTW, the starting bid is on the high end of what they go for at flea markets.

oose

Hi PLATON,
here is a pic for you
jimseidl.jpg

stu

dmar836

I am proud to own one. Proud as mine was owned by the Captain of the U.S.S. Augusta during the Atlantic Charter signing - Capt. Wright. His son later provided provenance. Before researching it, I wore it once or twice to class during a New York winter and popped/lost one button in a snow ball exchange! Foolish I know. It is an exceedingly warm coat.
Dave
Kansas City, USA

I've got 4 of them. Edmund Church and G&F. They're extremely well made and great value for the sheer weight. I can't believe they go for so little.

CBI

yes, I owned a similar AAF version and I bought and sold it for 1/4 of the cost of an A-2. Going by the pound - very cheap

A

Anonymous

Guys,
Where can I find one in good condition? (size 40 or 42)
Ebay doesn't have any.

Where's the flea markets that sell them?

Can I buy from you guys?

sgbailey2002

The button front ones are more common, the rare ones are the zip version. They command higher prices. Had one as trading fodder, did well with it.

zoomer

M-69E is the zippered version; M-69F the buttoned version, as pictured above.

Like most Navy leather, they're also very rare in 42 and over, and like most Navy leather, actual sizes vary by contractor. Furthermore, sellers have trouble measuring the armpits to tell you the fit for some reason.

The picture is unusual because he's an ensign or j.g. "Misters" generally did not wear M-69s.

zoomer

It would have to be very early, thus very rare. I don't know when Spec M-69 was adopted or went into use.
The coat has a definite 1930s look about it, but looks too expensive for the prewar Navy to have approved (they didn't even issue leather jackets thru much of the 30s).

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
PLATON said:
I think there is a M-69D

Anyone ever heard of it?

The M-69D, and M-69E specs were the zippered versions made by Willis and Geiger. The D contracts date from FY 1941, and 1942, with the single E spec contract being awarded in 1943.

The same year saw the introduction of the buttoned M-69F, with contracts to Gordon & Ferguson, and Edmund T. Church.