• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info wanted on B-15 flight jacket

tylerjl

I picked this jacket up at an estate sale today and I’m trying to find information on it to properly date it. It’s in great condition but has some holes around the waste band. The USAAF logo is still visible on the left sleeve and has a bell shaped Conmar zipper. I couldn’t find any others with an inside tag like this one. Liner feels like alpaca. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpeg
    IMG_0119.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0122.jpeg
    IMG_0122.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0123.jpeg
    IMG_0123.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0124.jpeg
    IMG_0124.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0125.jpeg
    IMG_0125.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0126.jpeg
    IMG_0126.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0128.jpeg
    IMG_0128.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0129.jpeg
    IMG_0129.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 94

917_k

Nice jacket, but it’s a civilian version made post-war. These were made by various manufacturers, often the same companies that produced the wartime gov issue USAAF jackets (some got taken to court and fined over it), for the civilian market. You can always tell because they’re often described as B-15 ‘type’ (there were civilian versions of other flight jackets as well, like the B-9 and B-11, again described as ‘type’).

The other main feature that gives this away as a civi B-15 from an air force jacket is the central zipper (actual B-15s and B-15As had an offset zipper).

tylerjl

Nice jacket, but it’s a civilian version made post-war. These were made by various manufacturers, often the same companies that produced the wartime gov issue USAAF jackets (some got taken to court and fined over it), for the civilian market. You can always tell because they’re often described as B-15 ‘type’ (there were civilian versions of other flight jackets as well, like the B-9 and B-11, again described as ‘type’).

Other give-away features that distinguished a civi B-15 from an air force jacket are the central zipper (actual B-15s and B-15As had an offset zipper) and fabric hanger.
Great to know. I appreciate the information. Luckily I paid very little for it. I knew nothing about it but took a chance since the price was right.

917_k

Great to know. I appreciate the information. Luckily I paid very little for it. I knew nothing about it but took a chance since the price was right.

No worries and it’s still a great jacket that dates from the 1940s, with a great story behind them. I can’t remember who it was, but certainly some of the makers were taken to court by the US government for effectively copying and selling what was a government spec piece of military issue clothing.