• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info on mysterious RMC A-2?

Helveticards

Howdy all - I recently came across this listing for an A-2 on eBay:

The seller has it listed as an Aero, but it’s evidently a Real McCoy’s repro of an Aero contract (16160). Weirdly, though, I can’t find any information at all on this jacket - Google doesn’t seem to believe that RMC ever made an Aero repro, and even looking up the RMC stock no from the tag (AL9101) gets me nothing except a single other old eBay listing for this jacket in a different size.

If anyone has any info on this at all, I’d welcome it!

mulceber

It looks like Japanese construction to me, and something about the zipper really looks RMC to me, so I imagine it's the genuine article. I see it's sold - hope you were the buyer, as it looks like a good buy!
Eintagsfliegen… Snowflakes… discussed here several times already.. Mods dont change anything apparently.
We don't - and there's a reason for it: every now and again, Nathan updates all of us on changes or an update that he's made, and members very kindly thank him for the work he does and ask him if we can do anything monetarily to help with the upkeep. And Nathan, very graciously, says no. The thing is, you all are already helping with the upkeep - when some random person finds a jacket (mall jacket, true original, cool repro, whatever), decides to google "vintage leather jacket" and finds our board, that's what pays the bills and keeps the lights on - ad revenue from people coming to the VLJ for the first time and creating a new account.

So as much as it's annoying when someone comes in here with some branded mall jacket from the '90s and asks if they just hit paydirt, keep in mind, them showing up is what keeps the lights on.

(This is also why we should never rename the VLJ, as we get that ad revenue because we pop up on google when someone searches "vintage leather jacket", but that's a separate issue.)

Helveticards

Thanks for the info @mulceber!

I ended up reaching out to Real McCoy’s directly to see if they could tell me anything about that model, and this is what they came back to me with:

BEF4A3FC-95BD-46F7-A6CD-16698D78170F.jpeg

I also was indeed the one who bought that jacket - it arrived the other day and it’s fantastic!

507481A0-4E38-4839-A253-BFD7C6EDD6EB.jpeg
21B98771-7300-4E63-B715-ED075430EF99.jpeg

It’s obviously a bit short on me, but I feel like that comes with the territory for an “off the rack” A-2 that fits me in the chest and shoulders. I think it’s less noticeable unzipped, and that’s how I plan to wear it most of the time anyway.

I’ve definitely been bitten by the A-2 bug now - I’m going to save up to put in an order with Aero so I’ll have something that actually fits!

mulceber

Good fit! I'd recommend getting some high-waisted trousers/jeans, to help "bridge the gap" at the waist. I agree that (at present) it looks better unzipped, but higher-waisted trousers will make both zipped and unzipped look even better.

It's a lovely jacket, btw.

Last edited: