• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In praise of the B-6

A

Anonymous

For me personally, shearlings are like gorgeous film actresses: GREAT on the eyes but too high maintenance and impractical for everyday use :D . I had an Irvin or two but wearing one to the pub meant I spent the whole evening keeping and eye on the jacket in case somebody tried to nick it. The B-3 I had I couldn't move my arms in. WAY too heavy too IMVHO.

The reality too, of course, is that as soon as clothing technology moved forward, the military stopped using the heavy, cumbersome shearlings. They did that for several very good reasons.

Some things just look better from afar.

J_H
(In the interests of being politically correct and not wishing to upset anybody, I have to say that the author's opinions are his alone and not meant to be disrespectful to other forum members or the United States of America or said to 'wind-up' members with a track history of being short-fused :lol: )

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
JACKET_ HEAD said:
... The B-3 I had I couldn't move my arms in. WAY too heavy too IMVHO.

The reality too, of course, is that as soon as clothing technology moved forward, the military stopped using the heavy, cumbersome shearlings. They did that for several very good reasons.

Some things just look better from afar.

Try a B-6, or a D-1, Dave .... not at all like the B-3. My B-3 as too hot, and like you I felt like the Michelin Man.

In contrast, my short pile D-1 is easy to wear, and as light as a feather.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tim P said:
... the d1 is squareish and if you have cold hands the pockets can be a pain however practical the zip seems for retaining the contents. all these things subordinate it to the B6 in my opinion.

I agree about the pockets ... I don't like the look of them with their cut edges, or the zippers.

But there's an easy answer for you, if you need somewhere for your hands .... the Werber D-1 "MOD".

08SP8009.JPG

markc

Why do Aero put that hanging chain on the outside of their B-6 ?

I've an Aero B-6 and my chain is on the INSIDE.

Sometimes I'd acually prefer it on the outside as the rivets are a bit scratchy (and it's cold on the neck when i put it on).

I agree that the B-6 is a cracking jacket though. Had mine on this weekend at Opera in the Park in Leeds and it kept me toasty warm (and stylish with it!).

Cheers,

A

Anonymous

deeb7 said:
Try a B-6, or a D-1, Dave .... not at all like the B-3. My B-3 as too hot, and like you I felt like the Michelin Man.

In contrast, my short pile D-1 is easy to wear, and as light as a feather.

David,
Do you find the boxier cut of the D-1 means you get a cold back as it's not figure hugging ?

The D-1 has some appeal but the B-6 I personally feel is a bit too fussy. And I'm always worried with shearling that I'll pull it apart at the shoulders.

Dave

Vcruiser

For me(tall&trim)..the D1 kinda hangs on me..where the B6 is more form fitting. The bi-swing back does allow for better movement..in my view. I also prefer the collar shape of the B6 compared to the D1. Both are comfortable shearlings..and just the right weight for some colder weather here in Indiana. It's the jacket I grab for snowy days...and to shovel snow in. With a flannel shirt...I'm quite comfy.
BTW...my Aero B6 has the metal hang chain on the outside behind the collar on the stiffer re-inforced collar panel. Seems to make sense to me. It could be hung by the chain without pulling on the more fragile part of the shearling...although I never hang it by the chain.
Van

handworn

They do seem to be reproducing a 1939 contract, judging by their label, and Eastman's seems to be a 1943 contract. I'd guess the original 1939 contract examples are a good deal rarer than any other kind, so you may just never have seen one. (I sure never have.)

120391663.jpg

Peter Graham said:
Why do Aero put that hanging chain on the outside of their B-6 ? To the best of my knowledge no original B-6 contract ever had that. One maker, I can't remember who, put the chain on the outside of their D-1 but that's it.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
JACKET_ HEAD said:
Do you find the boxier cut of the D-1 means you get a cold back as it's not figure hugging ?

Not at all, Dave .... it fits close enough at the hips so it's warm, but still light, and easy to wear.

HLBback.jpg

A

Anonymous

That's interesting David. However, having been a lifelong roweer, rugby player and climber my back and shoulder might be a bit bigger than your very svelte frame and I've found that that does make jackets overhang my lower back. But you have raised the possibility that it could work and so I need to get to try one on and see for myself. AFTER my ELC Cable in goat (un war-horsed of course) arrives in the next few weeks and dependant on if that stays with me. ;)

Thanks for posting the photo.

Cheers,
Dave

jack aranda

I've followed this thread with some interest. It seems one should size-up with an ELC D-1 or B-6 to get a proper fit. Is this true as well for Aero's D-1 and B-6?

Clark J

I wear a 46 in Eastman A-2s and I have 2 D-1s-larges(one is the"never made"redskin & a new seal house D-1)and I also have an Aero D-1(LG) and an Aero B-3 in a 46 all fit me the same.

handworn

I just got an answer from Amanda at Aero about that:

"The original B6 that we copied had the chain on the outside, but it can be made either on the inside or outside, its up to yourself…"

So it looks like that was correct-- at least one 1939 contract for the B-6 had the chain on the outside.

Peter Graham said:
Why do Aero put that hanging chain on the outside of their B-6 ? To the best of my knowledge no original B-6 contract ever had that. One maker, I can't remember who, put the chain on the outside of their D-1 but that's it.

Peter Graham

handworn said:
I just got an answer from Amanda at Aero about that:

"The original B6 that we copied had the chain on the outside, but it can be made either on the inside or outside, its up to yourself…"

So it looks like that was correct-- at least one 1939 contract for the B-6 had the chain on the outside.

Peter Graham said:
I stand corrected. It's strange though that they copied such an untypical contract. Maybe it was the only one they had at the time.