• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In praise of the B-6

Tim P

It was pleasant enough last night for a couple of drinks outside but it became quite chilly, popped on my B6 over a t shirt and it took the chill right off.
With the comfort of the Bi swing back, the hip length cut, moderate fleece length and sensible collar size the B6 seems to have it all for me. the pockets, lacking zip teeth to rip the backs of your hands on, are more practical than any flight jacket that predates the B15. There are two of them and you can get your hands in if you need to. stuff in there is safe even though there are no flaps.
Right now, I think it is the best of all ww2 American flight jackets, even better than the D-1 whose shapelessness puts it behind. It is not so much warmer than an a2 that you need to worry about baking in it. Layering with a sweater, fleece, or under jacket ( I bought a 46) will allow extra warmth when the cold bites.

The Eastman RW B-6 I bought off John Chapman some years ago is the only jacket I regret selling. All the features of the B-6 you mention are pluses that set it apart in my view.

BEVAN

Vcruiser

The B6 is one of my favorite jackets. In my view..stylish..but yet very comfortable to wear.
Being more a summer type person...I never look forward to colder weather. However..it does give me the chance to wear the B6..which I thuroughly enjoy.
Van

Peter Graham

Apart from the B-10, the B-6 is my all time favourite jacket. I once owned an original redskin B-6 but it was so rare I didn't feel comfortable wearing it so I had to sell it. I'm currently without a B-6 but not for long, I hope.

MikeyB-17

They don't do it for me. I think they look great from the front, but I hate the back. I once saw a chap wearing one, and was impressed until I saw the back-that figure-hugging half-beltish style may be comfortable, but I can't get on with it. I like the D-1, but my favourite sheepskin jacket is the M-444. Sadly hardly anybody makes one. Actually, I never found my B-3 as uncomfortably warm as a lot of people seem to.

Tim P

I do like my McCoys B-3 but the collar spans two time zones. the B-6 is not so warm that cool summer static is out of the question. Bi swing is not everyones taste but if it works on Navy jackets it can work for shearling.

TankBuster

I love my ELC B-6. I should have gone with a 44 vs the 42, but
that is my own fault. A very comfortable jacket, and I like the
looks! Honestly though, I normally find myself grabbing the B-10
in late fall, early winter over the B-6, not sure why.

Tim P

I went one size up on mine. 44 gave way to a 46. glad to have tried it on at Duxford in 2008. I would have naturally selected a 44.

Tim P

I dont know cos in some things I need a 46 anyhow, not usually ELC stuff though. the 46 is roomy but when I tried it on I had on wool shirt and a flight suit. I can get it on over a blue bunny suit too if I need to. the 46 just felt better

TankBuster

Hey Jack,
It depends how you want to wear it. If you want to layer
underneath, go one size up. If that isn't important, then
go with your normal size. I can comfortably wear a long
sleeve T-Shirt under mine, but that's it. I would liked to
have been able to layer up a little more. I normally wear
a 42 in ELC A-2 jackets, and took a 42 in the B-6 per Garys
insight at ELC. Regardless, it's a very nice quality jacket.

jack aranda

Thanks, gents. This company of rascals at VLJ has got me thinking about a shearling jacket--either a D-1 or a B-6. Your input is appreciated. HOK (Heaven Only Knows) when the do-re-mi for this jacket will turn up; I've just discovered house repairs that have to be done before winter, so, it will probably be awhile. But, I enjoy researching these jackets nearly as much as wearing them, so, all is well.

Peter Graham

Why do Aero put that hanging chain on the outside of their B-6 ? To the best of my knowledge no original B-6 contract ever had that. One maker, I can't remember who, put the chain on the outside of their D-1 but that's it.

Burnsie

I have wrestled with the D-1 VS B-6 debate but since I wear my B-10 an awful lot in colder weather I've been able to save my money.
Now that it's out there what DON'T you all like about the D-1?

asiamiles

jack aranda said:
So, from TankBuster and Tim's comments, do the ELC B-6's run small?

I don't know but BR's seem to run small. I tried on a 38 in Junky last year, as I'd never had the opportunity before, and couldn't even zip it up.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
Why do Aero put that hanging chain on the outside of their B-6 ? To the best of my knowledge no original B-6 contract ever had that.

Full Gear shows an original Aero 42-18283-P, with an external hanging chain.

Guess we'll have to let them off .... this time. ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Burnsie said:
Now that it's out there what DON'T you all like about the D-1?

Nothing ..... I'm totally enamoured with my D-1. Well maybe the pockets, but that was easy, I bought a version without.

Tim prefers the B-6 .... even better than the D-1 whose shapelessness puts it behind. That's what I like about it, not shapeless, just boxy, the same thing I like about the A-2.

And the back of the B-6 reminds me of a late 60's Mod jacket .... too busy.

Tim P

Its not that I dont like the D-1, but with two ostensibly similar styles you have to prefer one even if it is only by a degree or two. if someone is wearing either you have to look at them and carry out a quick ident.
I have an original size large that fits well and looks great however, the longer cut of the b6 suits my long torso short legs set up, the d1 is squareish and if you have cold hands the pockets can be a pain however practical the zip seems for retaining the contents. all these things subordinate it to the B6 in my opinion.