• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Import Costs

johnwayne

Hi guys
Been viewing this sight for sometime and cant believe there so many jacket fans/nuts like me!
Hope to have more to say soon, however, on the matter of importing try to get the exporter to add 'Of no commercial value' or 'Gift' on the weybill their courier uses, rather than purchase price. As far as I know it doesn't affect any insurance costs and hides the value from any would theives in 'the system' from picking up on value and losing said packag - it does happen believe me. Alternately if you know someone in the U.S. (or wherever) they could act as a middle 'person' to recieve and then forward on and it could then definately be classed as a gift, a bit like our friend in HK!!!

Cheers
JohnWayne
PS does anyone know if we can access past contributions to this sight? Bought an original last year that was shown and dicussed on this site and would like to retain it for posterity!!!

jacketimp

Cheers
JohnWayne
PS does anyone know if we can access past contributions to this sight? Bought an original last year that was shown and dicussed on this site and would like to retain it for posterity!!![/quote]

Duke,

you could post the pix of A2 again and start tonques rolling.........

jacketimp

johnwayne said:
Hi guys
Been viewing this sight for sometime and cant believe there so many jacket fans/nuts like me!
Hope to have more to say soon, however, on the matter of importing try to get the exporter to add 'Of no commercial value' or 'Gift' on the weybill their courier uses, rather than purchase price. As far as I know it doesn't affect any insurance costs and hides the value from any would theives in 'the system' from picking up on value and losing said packag - it does happen believe me. Alternately if you know someone in the U.S. (or wherever) they could act as a middle 'person' to recieve and then forward on and it could then definately be classed as a gift, a bit like our friend in HK!!!

Cheers
JohnWayne
PS does anyone know if we can access past contributions to this sight? Bought an original last year that was shown and dicussed on this site and would like to retain it for posterity!!!

middle person/intermidary sounds good.........depends on how trustworthy the person is......for anyhting above $5K it'll be less sleepless to fly to US to collect (i'm from the UK)...by the way it costs 25-30% to bring a jacket over form thre US!

i think you can claim only what's the declared value, if i'm not mistaken..........

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
johnwayne said:

John, we've only been at this address since March of this year .... most posts from prior to March are gone, or are inaccessable.

donsom

Hawkeye said:
Its really hit and miss here with customs in Canada. Some times I've had duties on jackets that were equal to the value of the jacket itself, other times, nothing. Whenever I send to the UK I'll drastically lowball the number on the customs forms, I know you guys have it pretty rough over the pond. :(

Bit late in the post ...but I'm also from Ontario and bought an Eastman Redskin B3 recently. I've been doing some research on the government website and found duties for sheepskin/fur/leather jackets to be from 14% to 25%. I'm sure that the customs agent will also take their "pound of flesh" as well.

Do you have any numbers from previous experiences? Have you ever ordered anything from the UK?

I have another 3 weeks to wait before I expect the jacket.

ties70

Since we have moved to Hamburg two years ago, all the stuff I am getting from the US ends up at the German customs.

Of course, for me personally this kinda sucks but if you keep in mind that Germany's biggest port city Hamburg and the German government loose millions of tax money every year due to counterfeit products and smuggling, it is obvious why they enforce regulations so strictly....

German custom authorities combine the goods declared value plus the shipping cost, afterwards you got to pay 19% for German VAT and additional custom fees ranging from 0 - 20%.

Stuff can get expensive this way.
Most of the time I was lucky enough to get the seller to "correct" the declared value and make the import fees more reasonable. For example, a brand new A-1 arrived yesterday. It was declared as "Repair job, lining and knits; Costs 100 USD". Customs calculated with 150 USD incl. shipping and charged me 30 - 35 USD extra for VAT and custom fees...

Ties

A

Anonymous

donsom said:
Hawkeye said:
Its really hit and miss here with customs in Canada. Some times I've had duties on jackets that were equal to the value of the jacket itself, other times, nothing. Whenever I send to the UK I'll drastically lowball the number on the customs forms, I know you guys have it pretty rough over the pond. :(

Bit late in the post ...but I'm also from Ontario and bought an Eastman Redskin B3 recently. I've been doing some research on the government website and found duties for sheepskin/fur/leather jackets to be from 14% to 25%. I'm sure that the customs agent will also take their "pound of flesh" as well.

Do you have any numbers from previous experiences? Have you ever ordered anything from the UK?

I have another 3 weeks to wait before I expect the jacket.

Hey Donsom,
how about a few pics for the shearling lovers amongst us ? (I must be part Welsh :? )

J_H

Baron Kurtz

Very few of my purchases have ever been selected for customs duty. There is a claim that it is a random selection policy on packages. I've had things valued and declared in the hundreds of dollars, and never a sniff from customs. I'm not quite sure how they find things. They don't have the staff to check every package. Maybe high ticket, obviously commercial, packages, are flagged at the US end?

bk

TMB

The many jackets I've bought and had sent from the US in the past I invariably got sent by Express which costs around $35 to $40 to the UK but valued at only a "nominal" sum. You still often have to pay duty and handling charges but its way less of course. I agree its probably about 50% of the packages that get charged. The beauty of EMS Express is that the package is trackable, although do bear in mind that it will only be insured for the declared value so if it did get lost its at your risk. That said of the 50 or so jackets that I've had sent by Express from the US over the last few years not one has got lost.

etc gbet From Per £off e
Cobblers161 said:
If you can then persuade the sender to use EMS as they only check about 50% of the parcels. I always use them from Japan and US and have never had charges yet.
UPS on the other hand are pretty hot and always levy the due charges. I mean we are meant to pay them despite how criminal they may be but if we can find ways around it then all the better.

Of course, the best way is that mentioned above, get the sender to mark the package value at $30 or less.