• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Import Costs

Ginger

Looking for information on the rate of duty UK based forumites have been charged by HMRC for the import of new leather jackets from the States. I know VAT is added to the duty inclusive total.

The HMRC website leaves too much to interpretation!

Cheers,

G.

John Lever

Expect to pay around 25 % on the item price. This includes duty, VAT and handling charges.
If you bought a jacket for say £500, then it will cost you £625, if the seller lists the actual market value.

A

Anonymous

One month ago I bought something from the US. It cost me $500 including shipping.
Customs here wanted that I pay $400, so total was $900. Not a good deal.

I am in Europe's worst country Greece.

Andrew

John Lever said:
Expect to pay around 25 % on the item price. This includes duty, VAT and handling charges.
If you bought a jacket for say £500, then it will cost you £625, if the seller lists the actual market value.

Yikes :shock: Is that on any value John or just over some particular figure? That's criminal.

I think we only pay duty on anything over $900AU or so, but at any rate i've been lucky to never have paid duty on anything i've brought in.

Perhaps you guys need the strongest currency to cope with your import imposts ;)

Longranger

Hi. I live in the U.K and received a Doniger from Goodwear in Feb, and was only charge £30 by
the post office for delivery and import charges.

jacketimp

Longranger said:
Hi. I live in the U.K and received a Doniger from Goodwear in Feb, and was only charge £30 by

that's cheapo...........how much was the declared value......also did royal mail whack you £13.50 for handing charges?

John Lever

Longranger said:
JC does not declare the actual value of the goods. Most if not all others suppliers do so be prepared. I didn't pay much on my GW A1.
I recently paid over £200 for my Few B2 import.

Longranger

I agree with John Lever. J.C at Goodwear only put down a token amount for the jackets
value. Yes, the Royal mail did hit me with a handling charge.But that was part of the £30.

Cobblers161

If you can then persuade the sender to use EMS as they only check about 50% of the parcels. I always use them from Japan and US and have never had charges yet.
UPS on the other hand are pretty hot and always levy the due charges. I mean we are meant to pay them despite how criminal they may be but if we can find ways around it then all the better.

Of course, the best way is that mentioned above, get the sender to mark the package value at $30 or less.

Hawkeye

Its really hit and miss here with customs in Canada. Some times I've had duties on jackets that were equal to the value of the jacket itself, other times, nothing. Whenever I send to the UK I'll drastically lowball the number on the customs forms, I know you guys have it pretty rough over the pond. :(

asiamiles

John Lever said:
It would be much, much cheaper for you to have them send the jacket to me in HK, where there are no import charges, and then for me to simply relabel the package with a low value and send it on to you. You'd have to pay an extra lot of shipping but you'd still end up saving in excess of £100...even better of course, would be if someone in the country of origin, whether it be the US or NZ or wherever, could do it for you.

A

Anonymous

JC does not declare the actual value of the goods. Most if not all others suppliers do so be prepared. I didn't pay much on my GW A1.

Thanks for letting us know. I guess FEW is out of the question for me then.

PLATON wrote:

Hey, don't knock my homeland!

Christos

Your homeland is my homeland too. Nothing to be proud about. You should be glad you are out.

This year in the Olympics we won the gold medal in doping. What a shame!

Peter Graham

PLATON said:
Wrong my friend. I am in Europe's worst country, Ireland. At least you get some sunshine. How would you like it to be cold and wet about 300 days a year ?

A

Anonymous

Sunshine is great. It's 40 degrees C in the shade everyday and you can't go even go to the beach because the pocket is empty and you gotta work. My total holidays in the last 3 years is under 15 days.

Believe me my friend my country sucks so much that if they could mess up the weather they would.

Peter Graham

PLATON said:
Sunshine is great. It's 40 degrees C in the shade everyday and you can't go even go to the beach because the pocket is empty and you gotta work. My total holidays in the last 3 years is under 15 days.

Believe me my friend my country sucks so much that if they could mess up the weather they would.
OK my friend, I believe you now. Under 15 days holiday in 3 years is not good. What's the point in sunshine when you can't enjoy it.

jacketimp

PLATON said:

i complain i had no shoes........UNTIL I MET A MAN WITH NO FEET

A

Anonymous

What's the point in sunshine when you can't enjoy it.

My point exactly.

i complain i had no shoes........UNTIL I MET A MAN WITH NO FEET

Man that is not reasonable.
We are the most expensive country in Europe.
Things in the supermarket cost 3 times more than what they cost in Paris, France and yet salaries are 4 times lower than what they are in France. And we're going from bad to worse.

I am trying to get some cash and then I am outta here. It's a major shithole.

Jaydee

I have never seen customs/duty charges on mail here in the US of A! :D
I send my jackets overseas as a "Used Jacket" and downplay the value as much as possible. The only problem is that if it's insured through USPS, they sometimes will not let you insure it for more than the stated value. I assume anyway if a $500 insurance claim was made on a $50 stated value jacket, you would get less than $50 from USPS. Also remember, you only get back about 70% of the insured amount, so it's best to over insure. And you can only insure up to $600 for USPS International. Domestic is a different story.
-Jay