• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

identify squadron patch

unclegrumpy

mindful said:
thank you what do you think about putting this on my a2

Putting a patch on a nice jacket is always a tough choice....sort of like getting a tattoo. I think most guys tend to put patches on their second or third favorite jacket. You might consider wearing something.....other than an expensive A-2.....that has a patch on it for a while just to see how comfortable you are with it. A repro Army M-41 or 1960's MA1 might be good choices.

As far as the patch you picked, I think it is a great design from a unit that saw a lot of action.

CBI

I have some jackets that are patched, others that are not. Its just me but the problem with these cartoon character patches (as historically great as they are) is that most adults look at you like you are some sort of man-child. Why do you have bugs bunny on a leather jacket?. Is this some sort of Warner Bros. jacket you bought on a Los Angeles vacation? Of course, WE all know what this is about and no matter what you wear, no one is going to get it and its what YOU are happy with. The most cartoonish I have even done is a flying tigers design as it really doesn't look too "kid-like".

Great jacket and patch, but consider a different patch option.................

or, do whatever the heck you like, flight jacket nuts are all man-children anyway!

a2jacketpatches

CBI said:
I have some jackets that are patched, others that are not. Its just me but the problem with these cartoon character patches (as historically great as they are) is that most adults look at you like you are some sort of man-child. Why do you have bugs bunny on a leather jacket?. Is this some sort of Warner Bros. jacket you bought on a Los Angeles vacation? Of course, WE all know what this is about and no matter what you wear, no one is going to get it and its what YOU are happy with. The most cartoonish I have even done is a flying tigers design as it really doesn't look too "kid-like".

Great jacket and patch, but consider a different patch option.................

or, do whatever the heck you like, flight jacket nuts are all man-children anyway!
I Agree with CBI 100%
AprilTigers017.jpg

AprilTigers016.jpg

23rdPrototypes001.jpg

mindful

cbi you make me laugh man i kinda thought the same thing i like the patch but im gonna wait for either this jacket to get really worn then maybe ill add it on there or on another jacket, there are alot of patches out there i like more and i got that one for free, so its no sweat by the way loving the flying tigers patches cool and thank you all for your comments ive finally found some good guys to chat too about my crazy addiction or should i say our crazy addiction, at least i dont have to talk to my wife about it all the time now and by the way i look so young as it thank god i didnt put that patch on.

mindful

unclegrumpy said:
mindful said:
thank you what do you think about putting this on my a2

Putting a patch on a nice jacket is always a tough choice....sort of like getting a tattoo. I think most guys tend to put patches on their second or third favorite jacket. You might consider wearing something.....other than an expensive A-2.....that has a patch on it for a while just to see how comfortable you are with it. A repro Army M-41 or 1960's MA1 might be good choices.

As far as the patch you picked, I think it is a great design from a unit that saw a lot of action.
thanks for the info im learning somethink new every day

herk115

CBI said:
As I type this I'm wearing an ELC RW 1401 with the 357th FS patch. This patch is neither a cartoon character nor aviation themed, so it's a toss up what the average non-aviation Joe would think of it. I totally agree that the cartoon character patches, beloved as they are, make the jacket look like something you bought at Disneyland. But then, I'm not wearing the jacket and patch for people who aren't interested in aviation; I'm wearing it to feel good about myself and to attract attention and conversation from a) other aviators, and b) girls. Therefore I follow the advice I got twenty years ago from a guy who ran a patch shop just outside the main gate of Mather Air Force Base: If it's an aviation patch, put an airplane on it! Otherwise, it won't sell. So, when I "patch" a jacket it is usually a patch from a unit I was in, and one of the few that has an airplane on it. In addition to the cool look of an airplane, it makes me feel even better knowing I used to be in the unit and therefore earned the patch. The exception is the jacket I'm wearing now (the 357th FS will be replaced with my own unit ASAP), and another with the 97th BG patch, to honor my father's service during the war.

Hope this helps.

Chris217

I like my grandads squadron insignia from the 833rd BS 486th BG 8th AF, which is my current avatar. I think it has that classy coat of arms look about it.

mindful

herk115 said:
CBI said:
As I type this I'm wearing an ELC RW 1401 with the 357th FS patch. This patch is neither a cartoon character nor aviation themed, so it's a toss up what the average non-aviation Joe would think of it. I totally agree that the cartoon character patches, beloved as they are, make the jacket look like something you bought at Disneyland. But then, I'm not wearing the jacket and patch for people who aren't interested in aviation; I'm wearing it to feel good about myself and to attract attention and conversation from a) other aviators, and b) girls. Therefore I follow the advice I got twenty years ago from a guy who ran a patch shop just outside the main gate of Mather Air Force Base: If it's an aviation patch, put an airplane on it! Otherwise, it won't sell. So, when I "patch" a jacket it is usually a patch from a unit I was in, and one of the few that has an airplane on it. In addition to the cool look of an airplane, it makes me feel even better knowing I used to be in the unit and therefore earned the patch. The exception is the jacket I'm wearing now (the 357th FS will be replaced with my own unit ASAP), and another with the 97th BG patch, to honor my father's service during the war.

Hope this helps.i would like to see the 1401 with th fs patch

herk115

[/quote][/quote]i would like to see the 1401 with th fs patch[/quote]

I'd be glad to show you if I could figure out how to upload the image. Can anyone help me?