• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identify Navy Sheepskin Jacket

adfrost

So I'm watching this documentary on the USS Franklin CV-13 and this jacket shows up. Any ideas what it could be? Collar & sleeves look like it could be an M-445, but I don't think I've seen one with a dark collar or epaulettes before. The documentary was discussing early 1945 in this section, though no guarantee that's actually when this footage was taken.

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 5.29.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 5.28.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 5.28.15 PM.png

B-Man2

The US Navy had a rubberized leather looking deck coat that I’m pretty sure is this jacket .
C3B7A281-A142-43A7-8C5A-291FC07A891A.png

adfrost

Hmm...collar & sleeves don’t look same. And it looks more like leather than rubber to me. But I’ve never seen that jacket/parka before, so that’s cool too.

B-Man2

Well I think the difference may be that the one in my post is definitely a WWII coat . The ones in your photos as you indicated might be WWII, but could be later. The one thing that’s the same for sure is the sheepskin lining and they are both USN jackets. I don’t think the navy would have 2 of the same type of jackets almost identical to each other, but then again who knows. Hopefully someone may have some additional info to share.

Griffon_301

could be one of the super elusive M-69 USN Aircraft transport coats....
and if its from a documentary about the USS Franklin, then its definitely 1944-45 because the Franklin was not used operationally anymore after its devastating 1945 Kamikaze hit...

adfrost

could be one of the super elusive M-69 USN Aircraft transport coats....

Nice catch @Griffon_301! I’m pretty certain that has to be it. Everything matches: the epaulettes, the collar, the sleeves, and the double-breast. And it’s a Navy coat. Thanks for your sleuthing...I’ve been poking around for the past few days, but nothing came up. And I’m pretty certain the footage was from ’44, as it was talking about Captain Gehres assuming command of the Franklin. No one had anything positive to say about the guy...but the jacket caught my eye.

Looks like one is even up on eBay right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/312817251207

Griffon_301

Gehres must have been a tough one (he had sailors who were blown from the decks after the Kamikaze strike on Franklin court martialed for "leaving their posts") but I guess compared to Miles Browning even he must haves seemed like a puppy...

That coat is really nice, there are some available on the crapbay right now but none in my size unfortunately...

adfrost

Gehres must have been a tough one (he had sailors who were blown from the decks after the Kamikaze strike on Franklin court martialed for "leaving their posts") but I guess compared to Miles Browning even he must haves seemed like a puppy...

Yeah, some pretty scathing commentary on Gehres leadership style & abilities (or rather, the lackthereof) In that documentary.

Griffon_301

I have read about the Franklin's story years ago in this book:

While Gehres surely was not a great captain when it comes to dealing with his crew (more quite the contrary), he nevertheless saved his ship and prevented it from sinking after taking the most grievous damage, a US carrier ever had to endure without sinking...that's a tremendous achievement his crew and he can pin on their chests..

SteveN

If it's an M-69, it's been modified. The upper pockets weren't present on my original, the mouton was different, and the knits on the sleeves are missing.