• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID buzz rickson A-2 and possible re-dye questions

dinomartino1

I just got this buzz rickson horsehide A-2 but have never seen one like it before.
Is this a rough wear, label reads contract 42-1401P. and it has a crown zip and a collar stay.
I normally look on ratuken to find about stuff like this but I could not find anything,there are tan jackets there but not this one, does anyone know old this is.
Where original jackets ever tan or is this a Japanese fantasy colour.

This fits me perfectly, and I would like to keep as finally after 15 years I have a jacket that is just right fit wise, but I know the colour is never going to be right for me, once you get that doubt in your mine nothing will ever get rid of it.

I am thinking of doing a re-dye, I know it will ruin the value but if it's done right I would be okay with it.
I live in Perth, Australia and my options to get it professionally done here are pretty non existent.
Can anyone recommend anyone in Europe or the USA who will do a decent job.
Doing it myself will be last resort as most of my efforts seem to end in disaster, I need to find out the costs involved to have someone do it and wether it would be worth it cost wise or just reluctantly have to sell it on.

P1010269.jpg
P1010272 (1).jpg
P1010276.jpg
P1010273.jpg

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

i had one some years ago. the idea with the light colored hide was that you apply buzz leather treatment [like vasiline or peccards] to it to darken it. the nifty thing is if you chose to make it darker, you simply reapply the goop. also, since these are dyed, when you darken it, the colors that come up are very much like wwll rw 1401s. you get some areas that are darker, some lighter, and the mottled effect that 1401s had-have. btw, the grain on these buzz jacs comes up real nice, and even more so when worn and gooped. i sold mine because it was way to large for me even though it was tagged the size i wear. holymoly, i just went to the above site, and low and behold, there it was my old buzz in the flesh, so to speak.

dinomartino1

That worth point page is the only result I could get on google for a buzz rickson rough wear that is not dark brown so quite a coincindence.
I just put vaseline on one arm to do a comparison, quite a dramatic colour change, I have pecards but thought I would give vaseline a try.
I will leave overnight it and see if its still darker when its dried out and after a few more experiments post some before and after pics.
Thanks

Silver Surfer

it will lighten up a little when the goop [vasiline, pecards] is absorbed, so successive applications may be needed to get to where ya want the color to be. ya have your self a real nice a-2 there, imho.

dinomartino1

Tried the vaseline on one arm and pecards on the other, they both where about the same for darkening but I preferred the vaseline as it dries better and is not as sticky afterwards.
The colour variations and grain do look way better after treatment but I don't think I will able to get it as dark as I would like and may have to go with a home re-dye.
Kinda torn as what to here, I have never had an A2 thats fits me as good as this.
I will never be buying a new A2 and lot of people who do still sell on their jackets as their not happy with the fit, with the poor aussie dollar exchange rate it's just too expensive now.
So what to do? sell this one and use the funds towards another seemingly endless round of buying and selling or take the chance and do a home redye.
I got a great deal on this buzz so will not be losing out that much if it all goes wrong but might end up with the ideal jacket.

Last edited:

Garylafortuna

Tinted Petard's is available in brown or black. It isn't as severe as a petroleum based dye, but it will darken your jacket somewhat. I've used it on a few jackets and a leather tote bag. Especially good on scuffs and scratches. Several light applications may be needed to achieve the shade you desire.