• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I visited John Chapman of GW yesterday and...

alfanator

picked up a couple of jackets. I was planning to check out his work and perhaps place and order and wait till Summer to get a jacket. Instead i walked out with a SAT (his first prototype) and an the original California Ventura he used to model his Ventura on. Both of which fit me great. The latter is in need of extensive restoration which i will start another thread to document.

I am wearing the SAT as i type this and it is just down right awesome. The leather is simply beautiful and the workmanship top notch. Will get some pics up later.

Weasel_Loader

That's great. I wondered what he did with that first SAT sample. Wouldn't have mined owning it myself as I remember it was pretty darn close to what he delivers now.

Jaguar46

Weasel_Loader said:
That's great. I wondered what he did with that first SAT sample. Wouldn't have mined owning it myself as I remember it was pretty darn close to what he delivers now.

I did lousy on my SATs. What is an SAT?

atkins

Did you see MacArthur's A-2 jacket anywhere in John's workshop? Congratulation on the new jackets. Pics please.

better duck

What a treat and privilege to be able to visit John in person and 'in situ' in the first place, and then to be able to try things on, have your hands and eyes feesting on the hides, jackets, atmosphere in the little workshop: great!
I always have this privileged feeling when I visit the ELC workshop in Ivybridge, Devon, UK. The last time being 2007, so a visit is long overdue! :)

alfanator

I will do a proper review of both jackets with pics when i get back home from this biz trip. John is only about 15 mins from where i (mis)spent my teens. It was great meeting someone with so much passion for his work.

Cobblers161

We should arrange a group visit to elc, I for one would love to have a nose about and I just know I'd come away with lots of stuff my wife will tell me I really don't need.

Could also book into a local hostelry and wax lyrical about jackets over pints of real ale. My idea of a night out! :D