• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am in good company...

lgr1613

While I have only been a member of the forum for a few weeks, I can see that I am in good company. The knowledge base here on A-2's, G-1's etc. from the WW2 era onwards is enormous! I know very little about the early jackets but am learning. My collection is focused on Vietnam through current, MA-1's, CWU's, A-2's, G-1. In cooler weather I wear jackets from my collection almost daily. I especially enjoy seeing articles and photos on WW2 aircraft - (by the way, real airplanes have round engines) - I feel as if I am stepping into the past and hearing history come alive when I am in the presence of a B-17, B-24, or a Connie, among others, taking off or making a low pass around the field. No other sound compares. My military flying was in jets and, while a KC 135A or B-52 taking off with water injection is almost earth-shaking, (especially from inside - wow!), nothing beats the sound of a radial (or four!) in full song.

When viewing the 'What jackets are you wearing today' thread earlier this evening I was particularly touched by the photos of the Jeep on the taxiway/perimeter road near twilight - I feel like there could be ghosts present, what a feeling it must be to stand there and contemplate what happened on that very field all those many, many years ago... I just watched Twelve O'clock High last evening so was already in a nostalgic USAAF frame of mind and was really pleased to come across those photos. Thank you so much for sharing that!

I just wanted to write this short note to let all of you know that, while I don't post much, I check the forum's new entries almost daily and really enjoy and appreciate reading the posts and seeing all the wonderful historic aircraft, airmen and jacket photos.

Kindest regards to all,
lgr1613 (Lewis Russell)
Southern Illinois

Smithy

Welcome aboard Lewis!

Definitely a case of abandon hope all ye who enter here - if you stick around it's a done deal your wallet will take a right royal thumping and there's also the added bonus that you'll piss off your wife/lover/significant other no end with purchases that you make all inspired by all of us "enablers" on here.

Saying that you'll have a blast ;)