• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to fasten this strap?

asiamiles

I'm a bit confused how I should fasten this side strap on my jacket.

It's obviously far too long to be intended to just slip it through as one would a belt, so if I want to fasten it that way I'll need to shorten it, which I could do by simply undoing the stitching, slipping the end further into the waistband and restitching...or the strap could be simply cut and restitched.

I've tried a couple of other ways both involving first putting the strap through the rather wide gap in the part of the buckle that fixes it to the jacket (see bottom photo) and then bringing it back through the buckle; I didn't much like how it was done in the shop and figured that was incorrect [you can make it out on the 4th photo down here:
http://www.orglory.com/wear/shop/detail ... 06002.html]
and tried one other way which I thought would do the trick but it didn't really work either.

Am I missing something obvious?

ogstrap.jpg

jack aranda

Hi, asiamiles:
The buckle has two slots, right and left. Run the strap UP through the right, DOWN through the left. Curve the strap back over and DOWN through the right. This will use up the extra length, and, as it is a roller type bridge between the slots, keep your strap from slipping.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I couldn't figure out the picture, and you've probably already tried this ...

I would bring it up through the left side gap from underneath, fold back over the roller, and thread it back down through the right side.

joeson

jack aranda said:
Hi, asiamiles:
The buckle has two slots, right and left. Run the strap UP through the right, DOWN through the left. Curve the strap back over and DOWN through the right. This will use up the extra length, and, as it is a roller type bridge between the slots, keep your strap from slipping.
Being a fan of vintage British motorcycle jackets,which use this type of buckle a lot,I can confirm that this is the usual way of doing it.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
I couldn't figure out the picture, and you've probably already tried this ...

I would bring it up through the left side gap from underneath, fold back over the roller, and thread it back down through the right side.

Yes, you're right, that was what I tried. It looked good, but while it held firm due to it being a tight fight going through the back of the buckle, the backwards loop didn't seem to hold. I thought maybe putting a couple of stitches in it would hold it down, but...

Thanks guys, I'll give that a go. So it's basically thread as one would a belt and then just loop the strap back over; hopefully the right slot is wide enough for the strap to pass through twice. I wonder why this kind of buckle was widely used on British biker jackets?