• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does sizing run on VANSON's and AERO's ?

johnnyjohnny

hope someone can share some info if they know...i was wondering how the vanson moto jackets and aero moto jackets run on sizing...mainly the armpit to armpit inches...when doubled do they equal the actual size of the jacket (e.g. would a 46 vanson or aero be 23" armpit to armpit?)

my understanding from reading specs online are that the aero's run about 2" over their size (a 46 would be 24" armpit to armpit for a 48" circ), and that vansons (the classics) run exactly on (a 46 would be indeed 23" armpit to armpit)

asking because i couldn't resist a size 50 vanson mercury on ebay even tho the size was probably a bit too big...hoping it comes in at 25" armpit to armpit since that's what i take...most a-2s seem to give a 25" armpit to armpit measure for a size 44 modern or 46 vintage

and i've got an aero highwayman coming that is size 46, but hoping that will give me at least 24 1/2" armpit to armpit, preferably 25"

thanks for any info anyone has

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
johnnyjohnny said:
and i've got an aero highwayman coming that is size 46, but hoping that will give me at least 24 1/2" armpit to armpit, preferably 25"

I would guess at more like 27", the Aero civilian jackets can be more generously cut than the military styles.

Van will know .... he has a collection. Likely the size 50 Vanson will also be over 25".

HHjackets

deeb is right, you are looking at 27" pit to pit. id say whatever the suit chest size, would be a good fit in the highwayman.

rich

Just measured my Highwayman size 42" and the pit to pit across the front is 26". Hope that helps?

I once ordered a size 38 Aero grizzly that had pit-to-pit measurement of almost 24 inches. Some of their stuff is VERY relaxed. Paradoxically, most of the jackets Aero did for LVC were undersized.

johnnyjohnny

a SiZaBLE question answered

thanks much all, especially for taking the time to measure your jackets...

the sizes you have for the highwayman/aeros puts my mind at ease about the highwayman i have coming...

still hoping the vanson mercury i bought off ebay will be less roomy than the aeros...some of the ebay measurements of jackets for sale suggest so, and the seller himself measured it and said between 25 and 26" armpit to armpit on a size 50, though it seemed (pun) that was the first time he'd ever measured jacket seams...so i will have to wait...

i'm sure others here have seen something on ebay that they wanted, previously hadn't been able to afford, and came across one size off on ebay and bit anyway...i have an excellent condition schott classic collar black cowhide motorcycle jacket like that, in case anyone's interested...size 48 in that was just a bit too loose for my usual 44/46 sizing

best, johnnyjohnny

johnnyjohnny

QuESTiON answered on the AERO...

thanks all, but i guess i got my question specifically answered on the sizing by this recent post on ebay...might help others with the same question...this is the aero highwayman, the same horsehide version i'm getting from aero, his is only 3 years old...>>>
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aero-Horsehide-Leat ... dZViewItem

his 48 has an underarm pit to pit of 26", which is about an inch too big (or 2" too big when doubled)...so looks like the 46 i ordered should fit fine, coming in about 25" armpit to armpit...if 4" over the size is what the chest circumference runs on these

hope this helps on others wondering about sizing aeros...

just called vanson and they are saying the size 50 mercury i got on ebay will likely be 26" armpit to armpit, or 52" all around...

siZing is the piTs (pun...hahaha) so i hope this helps others in these two brands...spending $500 to $800 on a wrong sized jacket is a drag, and i know others have written about doing that here, then having to resell...what makes it worse is that from brand to brand the sizing is different...sometimes even within the brand...for instance, my uswings milspec a-2 size 44 has a 26 1/2" armpit to armpit, while my uswings milspec g-1 size 48 has a 26" armpit to armpit...go figure...not sooo bad when eating it on a $300 jacket and reselling, but on $800 after waiting 3 months for it...not good...

which reminds me, anyone want to buy my immaculate condition uswings g-1 46 Long? or my uswings a-2 46 Long? both milspec, both immaculate (very small bit of piling on the cuffs/bottom fabric below the leather on the a-2)...the a-2 has a 27 1/2" armpit to armpit, the g-1 about 27"

thanks

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Re: QuESTiON answered on the AERO...

johnnyjohnny said:
thanks all, but i guess i got my question specifically answered on the sizing by this recent post on ebay...might help others with the same question...this is the aero highwayman, the same horsehide version i'm getting from aero, his is only 3 years old...>>>

That is helpful, but you are assuming that pluffmudd has the necessary skills with a tape measure.

Jackets often reappear on eBay with quite different measurements, and it's not unusual to see measurements which look right, apart from the chest, which matches the tag size .... because the seller thinks it should.

johnnyjohnny

YiXe!

jeeeeesh, a 42 that's 52" in the chest...i must totally think that aero is selling this because it was made for someone with altered or custom measurements...all of their ebay ads are for the buyer to send in measurements, except when they are selling one that has already been made...

i have no way of knowing, but i just have to think that such is what's going on with a 42 that measures with a 52" chest...

i did talk with aero american rep mark noyes a lot about the right size, and when i told him i was a 44.5" chest unexpanded, 46" expanded, he suggested a size 46 with 'seams turned', the phrase meaning the seams are somehow turned in a way to make it about one numerical size smaller (a 46 becomes a 45)

so i must believe that a stock, non-custom, highwayman will not be 10" over it's size...otherwise i'll be wearing this thing as eric cartman on Halloween...

thanks for the posting, i just have to hope it's a custom and not representative of their stock sizes...

waHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

johnnyjohnny

YiXe2!

thanks again deeb7 for that ad...i just wrote aero from the ad the following:

"hi, i just ordered an aero highwayman horse leather in a size 46, and was told that would be right for my chest size of 44.5" unexpanded, 46" expanded...and i made clear that i need approximately 25" across armpit to armpit, or 50" total chest circumference...seeing this size 42 measuring 52" chest circumference is very frightening...please tell me this is a custom sized order you are selling (since most of your sales ask for the buyer to provide measurements) and NOT the chest size on your normal 42s...if my horsehide front quarter horsehide, size 46, that i'm ordering will not come in at about 50" max (as i did share with aero as my needed size) i will need to try and stop construction immediately...but i think i'll just have a margarita, try to be calm, and believe this is a custom order for the huLk, and my size 46 will indeed be about 25" armpit to armpit, or 50" chest circumference...

frightfully waiting for your answer"

i'll letchya know

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Re: YiXe!

johnnyjohnny said:
.... i just have to hope it's a custom and not representative of their stock sizes...

Even if it is custom, I doubt that the tag size/chest measurement would differ. Usually custom work is changing lengths, or at the most, a slight adjustment through seam allowances.

I used to save the Aero photos with measurements, from the eBay auctions. Just checking those I find a size 40 Highwayman, with a measurement of 44-5/8".

johnnyjohnny

aGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i needed that scream...

i should have thanked hhjackets for the ebay ad, and deeb7 for the welcome but disheartening news of eric cartman sized highwaymen jackets from aero...

that said, if a 4" increase over stated size is what i get on my 46, which would be 25" armpit to armpit, that would work...so maybe that's why aero and mark noyes agreed to that size knowing i wanted 25" across...

howeVahhhhhh...that 52" size 42 is like a FranKeNjACKeT...i've just gotta believe it's a custom biZaRRRRRRo creation...they are in fact selling it at over $200 off their normal price, and i think it's new...

but i'll see what response i get from aero, and post it here...

this problem of not knowing what you're getting seems really to be the norm with these jackets...as i said, i've had the current milspec uswings a-2 at 44 being larger in armpit to armpit measure than the current uswings milspec g-1 at size 48...the only way is to ask for measurements, and even if they don't have them, they'll track down someone who does...but i fear buying wrong jacket sizes and having to repurchase, and then sell the wrong sizes, is just part of this game of infatuation with these jackets

thanks again to hhjackets and deeeeeeeeeb7

rich

Hi JJ, I double checked that the 42" Highwayman is 26 across the pits, and it is. As my chest measurement is really 42", having a jacket with a 52" circumference seems excessive, but in fact it fits really well. On paper it shouldn't! As another comparison, my ELC A2 is in a 44" but is 24" across the chest, this fits me well too. Confusing business. At least you're safe in the knowledge they will refund you if you do have a bad fit, but all the waiting is a torment whatever happens! Best of luck with it.

johnnyjohnny

waiting for the AERO highwayman

thanks rich, i appreciate it much...

i have no concept now of what the aero sizing is all about, i just emailed them and told them the inch count i need, and told them to decide...

i have received an extremely gracious email back considering how crazy i must have been driving them with all this size changing...basically i've decided to simply allow them to make the jacket to whatever size they feel is correct, using the measurements i need...

funny, that's what they request in the first place...in the end i have to say this is mY BaD!

thanks again for all who've answered my question...and when i finally get the jacket i'll let you all know what size it is ;)
johnnyjohnny