• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hmm...what do we think

johnwayne

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-USAAF-FLYIN ... 41627e46a9

Looks dodgy to me, mind you he doesnt say original but does claim it to be vintage (whatever that means! Awful cuffs even though it's been re-lined and the hook and eye looks all too clean! While the thread colour looks like early ELC, I dont think they've made a pointy collar yet so, Lost Worlds or McCoys with a possibly original maker label?

cheers
Wayne

Roughwear

I believe this an early Lost Worlds Dubow, Wayne. It's a shame the size is not correctly printed on the spec label, but perhaps Stu was cutting corners!

Rutger

:geek: The answer has been there near the bottom of the listing as early as of feb 12.

RCSignals

It is an old LostWorlds pre 1990s. Whoever wrote to the seller has that 90s part wrong

Nice effort on the hand knit cuffs

The price isnt too bad

Roughwear

RCSignals said:
It is an old LostWorlds pre 1990s. Whoever wrote to the seller has that 90s part wrong

The price isnt too bad

I wrote to the seller and I said from the '80s or 90s as I was unsure which decade from the poor photos. Thanks for correcting me here but please explain why it was not made in the early 1990s?

RCSignals

Roughwear said:
RCSignals said:

The price isnt too bad

I wrote to the seller and I said from the '80s or 90s as I was unsure which decade from the poor photos. Thanks for correcting me here but please explain why it was not made in the early 1990s?

Details were changed in the jackets made in the 1990s.
It is odd but often when people talk about LostWorlds A-2 jackets and things they see as wrong they mention details that haven't been on the jackets since the 1980s. Not that you did here but in general observation.

RCSignals

Roughwear said:
So what were the details that changed in the 1990s? The label is still wrong even today!

Snaps, pattern adjustments, fit, many things. Lost Worlds can fill you in on all the specifics if you are really interested. The only thing really wrong with the label is the non inclusion of the size digit, but then an example of an original using a separate tag was posted here a while back, although that tag obviously wasn't common practice. The label hardly makes the jacket.

SuinBruin

RCSignals said:
The only thing really wrong with the label is the non inclusion of the size digit, but then an example of an original using a separate tag was posted here a while back, although that tag obviously wasn't common practice. The label hardly makes the jacket.
The size tag and the wrong drawing number. If you're enough of a jacket hound to get after all the details of a specific contract repro, it would definitely detract to have such a screwed-up label. When John updated his Bronco label I bought one of the new ones to update my '08 GW Bronco (I just have to get around to having it installed).

I also don't get why LW would cut that particular corner, particularly when they tout their "strict requirements as collectors and historians" -- it can't save that much money per jacket.

Roughwear

RCSignals said:
Roughwear said:
So what were the details that changed in the 1990s? The label is still wrong even today!

Snaps, pattern adjustments, fit, many things. Lost Worlds can fill you in on all the specifics if you are really interested. The only thing really wrong with the label is the non inclusion of the size digit, but then an example of an original using a separate tag was posted here a while back, although that tag obviously wasn't common practice. The label hardly makes the jacket.

So are you saying LW got elements of the design wrong in the 1980s and had to make significant changes in the 1990s? I thought you would fill me in on all the details rather than Stu at LW as you seem to know so much about the changes.

RCSignals

I already told you small things like snaps and some pattern adjustments, just as I have read of similar things tonbe found on early Goodwear jackets. But if you want the minutiae you'd best contact Lost Worlds.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
I already told you small things like snaps and some pattern adjustments, just as I have read of similar things tonbe found on early Goodwear jackets.

I'm guessing that John will be amused. ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
deeb7 said:
RCSignals said:
I already told you small things like snaps and some pattern adjustments, just as I have read of similar things tonbe found on early Goodwear jackets.

I'm guessing that John will be amused. ;)

I suspect he would agree with me. ;)

So are you saying that an early Good Wear Dubow, had a similar level of accuracy to a Lost Worlds?

RCSignals

I'm saying from discussions I've read and photos of Goodwear jackets that early Goodwear jackets, not necessarily Dubow, had small details that were not entirely correct just as early LostWorlds jackets did. Such as snaps.
I'm saying it is odd when people reference LostWorlds jackets today they often cite things as being incorrect which haven't been seen on LostWorlds jackets since the ones from the 80s, as if they are still common details on Lost Worlds jackets today.
Every jacket maker , Good Wear, Eastman, Lost Worlds, Bill Kelso, has made improvements to their jacket offerings over time. but to not recognise such is a mistake.