• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HLB Corp= Harry L. Buegeleisen Company

Roughwear

There has been some discussion on the forum about HLB and H.Block being the same maker. This is most likely not the case and it is now claimed that HLB actually stands for the Harry L. Buegeleisen Company. There is currently a civilian goatskin A2 on ebay with the original HLB label and the seller clearly states that the Harry L. Buegeleisen Company was the maker. He goes on to say the firm made flying gear for the US government. No evidence is cited for this claim and I have Googled Harry L. Buegeleisen Company without success. Can anyone add anything here?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WWII-A-2-Jacket-S ... 1c10390491

oose

Hi,
Is he anything do do with the Joseph Buegeleisen Co, who made biker leather jackets and also had AAF contacts. It not really a common name and for both to be making leather jackets in the same period. Could they be brothers or otherwise related?

yours stu

joeson

All I know is that J.B. made the 'Buco' line of motorcyle jackets in Detroit.Never heard of Harry.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
He goes on to say the firm made flying gear for the US government. No evidence is cited for this claim and I have Googled Harry L. Buegeleisen Company without success. Can anyone add anything here?

Flying gear for the US Governement, yes, aviation goggles. Google can find Harry Buegeleisen Inc, H.B. 'Rocket' aviation goggles, 'Resistal' brand.

So, H.B.Inc, and HLB Corp ... interesting, but I think the eBay seller's taking too much of a leap.

Roughwear

and here is his reply.

Two sets of Resistol Goggles; one with HLB initials with Harry L. Buegeleisen on the box, and another with Straus and Buegeleisen. Also, my 1930s civlilian version B-3/A3 sheepskin combo has HLB on the jacket tag and Buegeleisen Company on the A3 trouser tag. Also of note, the "HB" on the HB "Rocket" flying goggles stood for Harry Buegeleisen. I susect the Joseph Buegeleisen Company of Chicago, manufacturer of BUCO leather clothing and motorcycle and flying helmets was likely a relative.

He also sent me the following link to Smithsonian's collection of US Trade Catelogues : http://collections.si.edu/search/result ... MAHTL_8980

Unless anyone can come up with an alternative explanation this one is the most plausible. Deeb over to you!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
Unless anyone can come up with an alternative explanation this one is the most plausible. Deeb over to you!

I will look into it later. :)

But for a start, Joseph F. Buegeleisen was Detroit, not Chicago.

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
Roughwear said:

I will look into it later. :)

But for a start, Joseph F. Buegeleisen was Detroit, not Chicago.

True, but this does not rule out kinship. Harry and Joseph may have been brothers, cousins etc.. and Joseph may have moved from Chicago to Detroit where he is listed post war.

joeson

deeb7 said:
Roughwear said:
He goes on to say the firm made flying gear for the US government. No evidence is cited for this claim and I have Googled Harry L. Buegeleisen Company without success. Can anyone add anything here?

Flying gear for the US Governement, yes, aviation goggles. Google can find Harry Buegeleisen Inc, H.B. 'Rocket' aviation goggles, 'Resistal' brand.

So, H.B.Inc, and HLB Corp ... interesting, but I think the eBay seller's taking too much of a leap.

Joseph B. also made leather flying helmets for the USAF.

bjoy

I found another variant of the Lawton label posted at http://ron521.homestead.com/lawtonjacket.html. Note that it also has the HLB Corp as part of the design.

If you go to http://redbook.gao.gov/9/fl0042201.php it shows that the Harry's company is officially listed as "HARRY BUEGELEISEN, INC". Even his death record does not show a middle initial. So I have found no evidence of what his middle initial might have been.

Note that on eBay (see http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0372435483) there is a helmet made by a "D. Buegeleisen" of San Francisco (with goggles apparently made by Harry Buegeleisen).

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
True, but this does not rule out kinship. Harry and Joseph may have been brothers, cousins etc.. and Joseph may have moved from Chicago to Detroit where he is listed post war.

Yes, they may have been related, but Joseph was certainly established in Detroit well before WW11. Bill has just reported everything that Google has to offer, so for me, it's far from proven. I'll just make a few notes in case any further info surfaces.

I think the Lawton labels are the most interesting piece of this puzzle.

oose

I've been on FamilySearch.org, and look at U.S. Social Security Death Index and there are 11 listings for Buegeleisen and the all in one of three places

New York: 5
Michigan/Illinois/Ohio : 4
California: 2

So that it does not seem to be a large family.

Joseph BUEGELEISEN - born 22 Oct 1892
Harry BUEGELEISEN - born Aug 1897

Not that this adds much but it does show that the family Buegeleisen was mainly in these three places in the US.

stu

bjoy

deeb7 said:
I think the Lawton labels are the most interesting piece of this puzzle.

One of the Lawton labels associates HLB Corp with New York. Is it known where the military contractor H & L Block was located?

I have found a link (http://www.berkeleyheritage.com/berkele ... block.html) which says that there was an early tannery in San Francisco owned by H & L Block. There is also a 1940 advertisement (http://books.google.com/books?id=KkoEAA ... ar&f=false) that says the company had a sportswear line called Block-Bilt. It is not improbable that they got some military contracts during WWII making clothing.

So if H & L Block was in San Francisco, maybe it cannot be the same as "HLB Corp"? So at least that speculation is perhaps less likely.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bjoy said:
So if H & L Block was in San Francisco, maybe it cannot be the same as "HLB Corp"?
So at least that speculation is perhaps less likely.

Yes, I don't think there's any connection ... just similar names.

H & L Block made a variety of garments for the Navy, including shearling
... HLB Corp seem to have made only shearling.

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
bjoy said:
So if H & L Block was in San Francisco, maybe it cannot be the same as "HLB Corp"?
So at least that speculation is perhaps less likely.

Yes, I don't think there's any connection ... just similar names.

H & L Block made a variety of garments for the Navy, including shearling
... HLB Corp seem to have made only shearling.

They are definitely not the same firm. BTW HLB Corp did have a small contract with the USAC for A2s in 1937. Unless anyone can come up with a more convincing explanation about the abbreviation H.L.B. Corp, Harry L (Lawton? ;) ) Buegeleisen Company seems the most likely candidate taking into account its pedigree. Jim, who is selling the civi A2, is a collector who has researched HLB. His quote is telling and hard to refute (but I'm sure David will in some way!).
Also, my 1930s civlilian version B-3/A3 sheepskin combo has HLB on the jacket tag and Buegeleisen Company on the A3 trouser tag.
Coincidence? Probably not, but still not 100% proof.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
... Buegeleisen Company seems the most likely candidate taking into account its pedigree. Jim, who is selling the civi A2, is a collector who has researched HLB. His quote is telling and hard to refute (but I'm sure David will in some way!).

Now don't be having a go at me, Andrew. ;)

I'm just saying that it's interesting, but as yet, unproven. Okay, you've upgraded your informant's status, from anonymous eBay seller, to Jim, the collector, so I guess it carries more weight ... but further research, I think, before we conclude that another mystery is solved.

Roughwear

No I'm not really having a go at you David. It is true more research is needed to be sure of the link, but the explanation is plausable but not proven.BTW the collector is one Jim Weber. Maybe someone here knows him.

Roughwear

Thanks for this address. The more I consider the evidence Harry L Buegeleisen seems the only candidate for HLB Corp. Who else could it be?