• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Highneck Sweaters at WWII Impressions!

unclegrumpy

zoomer said:
I wouldn't balk at $145 for a sweater if it's going to last me 20 years - and I've had top quality, heavy all-wool sweaters last that long.
I agree! However, I am starting to get to the point that a 20 year plan of clothing retention is going to need to have some future food dribble, staining and drool & snot protections built in. :eek:

ghq1

Nature's Scotchguard -- lanolin!

Sweater looks great to me -- perfect companion to a premium $750-$1000 A-2.

ww2imp

PLATON said:
I see where you are coming from. Made in USA is a selling point, and if I lived in USA I would have made my jackets there, no question about it.

Sure I applaud ww2imp's product which looks very nice and I am sure it is. But let's not blame the Asians for the quality of their products. The Asians will make a product as good as they are instructed to. Look at Nike shoes for example. Any of you has a problem with their quality? (pricewise they are still sold as if they were made in USA but that's another story)

Everybody is outsourcing these days, without compromising as regards to quality. Look at Levi's for example.

I have seen fashion sweaters (not like this of course) that sell at $30 or $50 and they are still great quality.

The issue here is that this kind of products are address to a VERY limited market, (I experienced that with my jackets) so i can't blame ww2imp for his price.

When I talked about the price the first time, I meant that, for example, in comparison with a Tanker Jacket that sells at abt $135 the $145 sounded expensive.

You are so very right. A product is reflective of not JUST the production staff but by the high standards (Or lack thereof) of the lead designers.

Our Tanker jackets price at $185. Again the reason for this is the higher labor costs. If I had a cheap tanker jacket in front of you and me I could pick it apart and tell you where the flaws are.

The context of my comparisons to Asian made products in strictly in the area of WWII US uniforms. Yes Asian based companies can produce quality products, but it is only after they have been in the business of same for an extended period of time with a lot of research and development. The Asian companies that produce replica WWII US Uniforms have yet to prove that they can match the same quality I produce, let alone duplicate the quality of the original. I have a trained enough eye for the craftsmanship of the period that when an Asian company boasts "Just like original" I take that with a grain of salt. In my estimation Buzz Rickson is one of a VERY FEW exceptions to this opinion. They make and sell high quality products but their products are at times priced even higher than mine.

Dr H

Did I mention that I offer consultancy wrt materials selection: adhesives, composites, scientific writing, proof reading? Competitive rates :lol:

ww2imp

Dr H said:
Did I mention that I offer consultancy wrt materials selection: adhesives, composites, scientific writing, proof reading? Competitive rates :lol:

I can also play electric base for bar mitzvahs! :D

ww2imp

Just wanted to chime in that our sweaters are now in stock and ready to ship, for those interested.

Thank you for your consideration.

ghq1

For those that are interested, I ordered one of these nice sweaters.

First I ordered the Sz 44 which proved to be way too small . . .I'm pretty much a Good Wear 46, Eastman 44 and G&B 42.

Switched it out for a Sz 48 with the following measurements:

Center neck to end of sleeve: 33"
Shoulder seam to seam: 21"
Arm holes: 8.5"
Length down the back: 28"
Shoulder seam down the arm to end of cuff: 22"
Neck (center button to center button hole): 14.5"
Pit to pit: 22.5"

Great overall quality and heft with really cool rib rack weave detailing on the shoulders, cuffs, and waist. The body seemed like a 1x1 rib knit (a finer rib than the 2x2 weave Commando sweaters). Feels like a quality piece of kit. A cotton reinforcing strip of HBT ran on the inside from shoulder to shoulder and along the back neck.

Yet the sizing was an issue -- I'm 6 ft, 170 lbs, 33" waist.

Some wool stretch as a rule which helps but the neck was really tight as were the armholes. Not a lot of play to increase the armhole diameters because of a nicely bombproof joining stitch (sleeve to body). I've not handled a WW2 high neck in my size so if this is how the WW2 sweaters fit then kudos to WW2 Impressions for nailing the pattern. I could have soaked it and stretched it I suppose but for $145 didn't want to take the chance of it not fitting post soak.

ww2imp

I don't recommend laundering. Only dry clean.

The cut is spot on to the original specs. We have taken note of the amount of stretch and will loosen it only slightly on our next run whenever that is. The pattern however won't change except I may revisit the collar area. Mechanic's sweaters obviously won't have this issue.

Thank you for your comments and for your business.

EmergencyIan

Juan,

These sweaters look perfect. I own an original in size 38 and it's in mint condition. It fits perfectly, but I don't really like to wear it as I would like to keep it in it's current condition. When you get it dry cleaned, with it being alomst 70 years old, there's a risk of damage. And, of course, there's no telling what could happen when you're wearing it.

So, I would love to purchase one of your sweaters, but you carry size 36 and size 40. There's no size 38 available. Why is that?

- Ian

ww2imp

They bodies run a little tight so a size 40 might fit you well.

We don' make the sizes in between because there is so much stretch to the material there really isn't any need.

EmergencyIan

ww2imp said:
They bodies run a little tight so a size 40 might fit you well.

We don' make the sizes in between because there is so much stretch to the material there really isn't any need.

Gotcha.

- Ian