• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with a faulty Crown Zip on an ELC ANJ4

Cliff

I have an ELC ANJ4 with a Crown zip. After a few minutes wear the zip opens up at the bottom. It seems the non slider side bottom guide pin (?) slides out of the slider side bucket (?) Looking at the zip there appears to be a tooth missing immediately after the pin which I believe causes the zip to flex a liitle and so disengage from the other side. The jacket is not quite a year old but I bought it from a VLJ member so I am not sure if Gary would honour the guarantee as I am not the original purchaser so have no "contract" with him. My questions - does anyone know if there a way of fixing this problem without a full zip replacement? ELCs ANJ4s now have Talons would this be a better zip to have if replacement is the only option?

Cheers Cliff

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Usually you would close the box at the bottom slightly, but if it's cast alloy, it will likely break.

Then replace with a Talon.

John Lever

Try contacting Allan at Eastman and tell him about the problem. They recognise there is an issue and might give a discount on a new zip.
The Crown has a dull finish and therefore suffers more friction than the bright finish Talon.

Cliff

Thanks David & John I will try the box closure first as I have nothing to lose. If it all breaks then its back to ELC for a Talon !

Cheers

Cliff

Hawkeye

So if the problem with the crowns is severe enough force ELC to go back to Talons for the ANJ-4, can we expect the same for the B-3, B-6, or any of the other jackets still being fitted with the Crown?

John Lever

Hawkeye said:
So if the problem with the crowns is severe enough force ELC to go back to Talons for the ANJ-4, can we expect the same for the B-3, B-6, or any of the other jackets still being fitted with the Crown?
The new RW B-3 is.

Marv

I have one of the newer Crown zippers on my 3 month old PH A2 and it's been fine, nice smooth action when fastening.
Not sure if it is a different size Crown zip on the jackets in question or the same style zip which is causing the problem, personally I prefer the Talon to the Crown anyway.

Cliff

Thanks for all your help, I tried David's suggstion which improved things a little but then I noticed that the metal pin on the non slider sider was actually coming away from the cloth tape. So its packed up and is being sent back to ELC tomorrow for a new Talon.

rgds

cliff