• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help to identify A2

ealag

Micawber, here are some more photos including with the zip partially closed, hope this helps

Attachments

• D51A95DF-3F6C-48C9-B524-7020EFC46428.jpeg
    D51A95DF-3F6C-48C9-B524-7020EFC46428.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 98
  • 021DE646-6775-4ECC-B695-FB41D62D9547.jpeg
    021DE646-6775-4ECC-B695-FB41D62D9547.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
  • 523B677B-6A5A-4D75-9992-6813E4AB48CF.jpeg
    523B677B-6A5A-4D75-9992-6813E4AB48CF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
  • 89C12664-9B4B-47F9-A42A-AAC986092B88.jpeg
    89C12664-9B4B-47F9-A42A-AAC986092B88.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 77
  • 78E1AA66-F855-4617-94E8-5F3081D84CF3.jpeg
    78E1AA66-F855-4617-94E8-5F3081D84CF3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 78

mulceber

I could be wrong, but looking at the stitching on the zipper, it looks to me like it's just a tick lighter than the stitching on the pocket. I'm pretty sure the dot zip is a replacement, and whoever did it made an effort to match the original stitching and use the original stitch holes.

Oh and I'd stop hanging it up on a coat hanger. After 80 years, the cotton thread is likely a lot weaker than it once was, so hanging the jacket by the shoulders could damage it. Even if the thread holds out, the creases in the shoulders resulting from hanging it up could damage the leather. I'd put it in a drawer, if you have the space.

Chandler

No, I agree with @ealag - that's actually a suede liner. If you look at the points on the jacket where the liner would be sewn in, you can tell that material is the liner, not the rough side of the leather.
This only makes me then wonder... what's the lining actually made from? I have to wonder what the hide side of the lining looks like.

Jacket must weigh a ton.

ealag

Thanks for all your contributions. The liner is very soft and flexible and quite thin so jacket isn’t too heavy. Sorry about shadows on some photos.

Chandler

Thanks for all your contributions. The liner is very soft and flexible and quite thin so jacket isn’t too heavy. Sorry about shadows on some photos.
Still, 2 full layers of leather is going to make that heavier than the typical A-2!

And no need to apologize for photographic acumen... very few pros here. ;)

ealag

Mulserver
If the dealer replaced the lining why choose suede and not a more commonly used material?

caddyd

I've got an original Werber B-3 that has a British Dot zipper and it looks to be original. Could be a war time replacement or maybe some jackets had these installed?

Attachments

• DSCN5394.JPG
    DSCN5394.JPG
    854.2 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN5397.JPG
    DSCN5397.JPG
    820.3 KB · Views: 74

ealag

From the comments above can I take it then that the jacket is a genuine A2 from the ww2 period which has probably had a replacement lining and replacement zip?
As I said in my first post I think it’s time to let someone else take care of this jacket and now that I know that it is authentic I can sell it with the knowledge that it is a genuine ww2 survivor.
Can you tell me the best place to advertise the jacket to reach the right buyer.

B-Man2

From the comments above can I take it then that the jacket is a genuine A2 from the ww2 period which has probably had a replacement lining and replacement zip?
As I said in my first post I think it’s time to let someone else take care of this jacket and now that I know that it is authentic I can sell it with the knowledge that it is a genuine ww2 survivor.
Can you tell me the best place to advertise the jacket to reach the right buyer.
Why don’t you post measurements of the jacket . That would be a step in the right direction since there’s no way to tell the size of the jacket.
Typical measurement are
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across the back shoulders
Armpit seam to armpit seam across front chest
Shoulder seam down the arm to the end of the knits .
Rear collar seam down center of back to bottom of knits .
These measurement will give us an idea of the size of your jacket .
Since you’re new here and haven’t made the number of posts which would entitle you to sell this jacket, the measurements might entice a member who’s interested in your jacket to contact you off line. Good luck with it .

ealag

Thanks B-Man2
These are the measurements. Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across shoulders. 17inches
Armpit seam to armpit seam across front chest. 21inches.
Shoulder seam down arm to end of knit. 20.5 inches
Rear collar seam down centre of back to bottom of knits. 24 inches
Thanks

B-Man2

Thanks B-Man2
These are the measurements. Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across shoulders. 17inches
Armpit seam to armpit seam across front chest. 21inches.
Shoulder seam down arm to end of knit. 20.5 inches
Rear collar seam down centre of back to bottom of knits. 24 inches
Thanks
Great
Now if anyone is interested in your jacket they will private message you .

Micawber

I've got an original Werber B-3 that has a British Dot zipper and it looks to be original. Could be a war time replacement or maybe some jackets had these installed?

More thumbnails :(

Zip would be a replacement but the stitching is not very professional in appearance, far from straight, incorrect tension and using a light weight thread.