• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help regarding patches identification needed [USMC G1]

DubPablo

Hi Folks,

I'm a brand new member here, Hi to All! I'd like to ask you for your help/advice regarding patch identification. I got this nice mid-60s G1 recently and looking for a validation about what patches were under the US flag [the flag was rayon woven - standard 5x3] - but what were these two small patches under the flag?
52175959692_d8d356e95e_b.jpg

I appreciate your help, have a great day!

Deacon211

Maybe someone has a better answer, but I think it’d be difficult to know exactly what patches were under that flag. I don’t recall any patches shaped that way, nor worn there, when I was in.

My only two suggestions would be:

1. Smaller flags. The ratio of LxW looks about right for a flag of some sort. State flag? Maybe flag of birth if he was proud of his heritage? Maybe small other service patch if he started in one service, but transferred to the USMC?

2. “Morale” patches. I don’t have my patch collection on me. But it was/is common to wear little patches, often beneath your name tag (under the velcro so that it was hidden) with airplanes, slogans, etc as sort of a hidden inside joke. We junior officers often wore a little gold oak leaf with the standard red circle with a slash through it to express our hidden feelings about field grade officers. A little rectangular pegged “Fun Meter” was also pretty common.

But, as I said, I can’t think of any patch that was routinely worn on the left shoulder that was that shape.

I’m sure there will be other input from some of the patch experts here though!

DubPablo

Hi Deacon211,

Thank you for sharing your valuable opinion and knowledge [based on actual experience]. I appreciate it.

I assume [so far, I haven't seen a similar patches configuration on the pilot's jacket from the NAM era] that these were indeed flags [the yellow thread on the liner can indicate a South Vietnamese one] - but it is just my assumption. Hopefully, other knowledgeable and experienced collectors can share their opinion on this.

Thank You!