• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help location conmar 39 zipper pull

DaMegaTaco

Hello,

This isn't really for a flight jacket, but rather a BAUER al-1 flightsuit... My right leg zipper pull fell off tonight and I'm super frustrated. Anyways I am hoping someone can help me locate a conmar 39 zipper pull or even an adequate alternative. It's a hard to replace zipper pull as it has a solid metal center and the pull has a space along the edge where it holds on and the teeth hold on to the ridge on the zipper slider (kind of like it's a long T and it holds onto each side of the T). I tried to take the best picture I could to give a good idea of it and a picture of the zipper pull on the other leg.

Attachments

• 16907827618943868930181632742066.jpg
    16907827618943868930181632742066.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 79
  • 16907828274083813443008840485492.jpg
    16907828274083813443008840485492.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 81

Silver Surfer

you should be able to find a late 40s early 50s talon Hershey style [rounded at the end of the puller tab] puller that will fit the conmar chain. I believe that the size is #5. the talon looks very similar to the conmar. they are often for sale on greed bay. I suggest that because the conmar puller that you are looking for is fairly uncommon, and if found, it will be priced accordingly. and btw, taco, how's about a little introduction?

Last edited:

DaMegaTaco

you should be able to find a late 40s early 50s talon Hershey style [rounded at the end of the puller tab] puller that will fit the conmar chain. I believe that the size is #5. the talon looks very similar to the conmar. they are often for sale on greed bay. I suggest that because the conmar puller that you are looking for is fairly uncommon, and if found, it will be priced accordingly. and btw, taco, how's about a little introduction?
Yeah I actually found this site because of a thread discussing the conmar zippers and how uncommon they are where the one website that had a selection of them didn't have the one I had. I tried looking at greedbay myself, but I didn't see any listings anywhere, but I'm guessing I need to register for them to show up maybe? Honestly though if I could find a conmar 39 zipper that would be an exact match for a somewhat reasonable price (50$ maybe, but hopefully not 100$) I'd be more inclined to buy it as the suit it came off of is a really nice piece that I got in unused condition I believe and I'd rather avoid having to compromise on a lookalike if I don't have to, but I'm guessing that's not likely to be possible.

Anyways as far as an introduction don't really know what to say... I'm an average guy with a less than average interest in older insulated coveralls. Not really a fashionable type so they'll likely be the most fancy piece of clothing I have. Not really sure what else there would be to say about myself as I like to maintain anonymity online.

Dany McDonald

Hello,

I have the same slider but with a bell shape puller that went the same way as yours. Since its bell shape I did find the replacement zipper, but your rectangle puller is rarer.

Is you slider/puller darkened or strait brass?

D

DaMegaTaco

So just an update.... I found the pull this morning! I'm super lucky as they generally power wash the sidewalks where I live and I left my place pretty late this morning so I wasn't expecting to find it. It would've been a pain to replace not only because of the rarity of the pull, but also the little leather strip that was connected to the pull. Here's a picture just to get a grasp of the size of it and how lucky I was to find it still

Attachments

• IMG_20230731_114540_01.jpg
    IMG_20230731_114540_01.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 66

Dany McDonald

Lucky you! Know that it could stay fragile once back in place, I know mine did. Good to see you want to keep your originals "original"!

D

DaMegaTaco

Lucky you! Know that it could stay fragile once back in place, I know mine did. Good to see you want to keep your originals "original"!

D
Yeah it's not the first time this happened, and usually it stayed on after putting it back on, but I just was a bit rushed and careless putting it back on as well as I forgot to check my leg while walking until it was like a whole block where it was late at night so it was that much harder to find. This time I used pliers to squeeze it so that the gap was shrunk and it couldn't fall off again. Pulled it multiple times while holding the slider to make sure it couldn't fall off to make sure it's not coming off again.

To say the least finding a good pair of coveralls with internal suspenders is already hard to find let alone one with a hard shell and fur lining. They definitely don't build them like they used to.